Ubuntu Overwrite Windows

riley_sandford

I installed Ubuntu on an external hard drive and it has overwriten windows on my m.2? If anyone can help with something that might make me a bit less stressed. Thanks!

So you see, it hasn't overwritten windows, windows still exists. It's just that (and I'm assuming some things here) GRUB (which is Ubuntu's bootloader) has become the default over Windows' bootloader. GRUB has a little thing where it panics if it doesn't see a Linux drive, but if you plug back the drive in, you will be able to see wndows as an option. Now, you can remove the GRUB bootloader if you want, I'll link a guide if you want, but the easier way be to go into your BIOS and give boot priority to the windows bootloader.

https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

15 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So you see, it hasn't overwritten windows, windows still exists. It's just that (and I'm assuming some things here) GRUB (which is Ubuntu's bootloader) has become the default over Windows' bootloader. GRUB has a little thing where it panics if it doesn't see a Linux drive, but if you plug back the drive in, you will be able to see wndows as an option. Now, you can remove the GRUB bootloader if you want, I'll link a guide if you want, but the easier way be to go into your BIOS and give boot priority to the windows bootloader.

https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/

My boot options are Ubuntu and generic multiple which wants boot drives so none work.