New Year PC-Upgrade

Budget: 400-500€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want to be able to play more modern games like SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn

My current set up: (I have had it since 2017) 

Case: Carbide Seres SPEC-01   from Corsair

PSU: Xilence XP600R6 600 Watt Netzteil (80+)

Motherboard: ASUS 970 pro gaming aura

CPU: AMD FX-6300 overcl. 6x 4.0GHz

RAM: 16GB OC DDR3-RAM @2133MHz (2x 8GB)

Grafikkarte: Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 3GB, Palit Dual

Storage: 1000GB S-ATA3, 8GB SSD Cache

I want to swap out the CPU to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

The Motherboard to a Gigabyte B450M DS3H

And maybe the ram to 16 GB DDR4  (40GS1632-2016RVB 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 GSkill RipjawsV 2er Kit)

(I got Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM for Christmas since I currently only have one cooling fan) 

Is it a good plan? Are there better optiones? 

Good CPU choice, but I would say go for a better motherboard as the gigabyte one you listed is very low end and not necessarily future proof.

Instead, I would go with something like this: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX - very similar name but is b550 (so you can upgrade to a 5000 series Ryzen if you want) and it also has much better VRM cooling and features. 

However If you can spend a bit more, I would go with the MSI B550-A-PRO as it is ATX (so will fill up your case - the microATX one will look a bit strange) and is slightly better in every way.

RAM looks good too 🙂

- If you don't have an SSD for your operating system and freq. used files, this would be a priority - such as WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVME SSD

hi, 

i saw your choice of cpu and i wanted to say that the intel i5 12600k is also a very good option for the same price and it has better spcifications and what i see you will need a new motherboard for both i5 and r5 so that is maybe something yo consider

i expect you want to sell the components you remove from the build? that would increase the budget a little bit.

about the ram seems good to me.

for the ssd just check on alternate for price/ mb/s speed so u get the cheapest with the highest data transfer

i dont know how many fans u have right now but you dont need much fans in a case if the airflow is ok (you do need an cooler for i5 12600k)

hope i helped u with this ; )

@Noobbuilder69 I have merged your threads together. Please stick to a single thread for the same thing. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card