Sony X80J

Error 504

i'm thinking about buying this tv at bestbuy, for $1,300 for a 75inch.

but all the reviews, almost all reviews, that i have read online are against it, mainly because of its lower contrast ratio and no dimmer function to make black color more black.

but it is an ips panel afterall.

does anybody actually have this tv and please share your experience with it if possible.

because online reviews recommend samsung au8000 which has a va panel.

thank you.

You didn't say what the 75 inch tv was.  Make and model would help a bunch when comparing things.  For $1300 you want to make sure that you get things right.

Oops, sorry.  Found it.

The Sony X80J is an adequate entry-level TV. It lacks many features you'd find on higher-end TVs but performs as expected for a lower-tier IPS-type model. With a low contrast ratio, its ADS panel can't really produce deep inky blacks, and it doesn't have a local dimming feature to improve black levels. That said, it has good wide viewing angles, and it gets decently bright, so glare shouldn't be an issue in rooms with moderate amounts of light. While it has a wide color gamut for HDR content, it simply doesn't get bright enough to bring out highlights in HDR. It's fairly basic when it comes to gaming features, without variable refresh rate (VRR) or Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and no HDMI 2.1 ports, but casual gamers should be pleased with its quick response time and low input lag. Like other 2021 Sony TVs, it comes with Google TV, which replaces Android TV.

That first sentence says it all, it is an ENTRY LEVEL TELEVISION.  That's for people like me that are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

Did a search on the Samsung and the info on it suggests that it is a lot better than the Sony.  Of cours it's your choice but I would put my money on the Samsung if it were me.  Just google them and you can find the exact information that you are looking for.

Good Luck.

9 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Did a search on the Samsung and the info on it suggests that it is a lot better than the Sony.  Of cours it's your choice but I would put my money on the Samsung if it were me.  Just google them and you can find the exact information that you are looking for.

ya, most of the reviews mentioned va vs ips panels, so they all recommend samsung for the panel type.

but dang it, a 75" sony for $1,300 ,even if it's entry level, dang, that's still a crazy boxing day price.

Do you truly need a 75”? Yeah, yeah, male testosterone fueled grunts aside, you're trading a ton of picture quality for a bigger screen than 65”. You can get *much* better quality screens for the same price at the 65" mark, and you don't honestly need more than that unless you have an absolutely huge room.

It's also worth considering that anything over 65” is an absolute PITA to set up, move, etc. You're pretty much at professional home theatre installation territory with that size, as I wouldn't want to take the liability onto myself if anything should go wrong.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

11 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Do you truly need a 75”? Yeah, yeah, male testosterone fueled grunts aside, you're trading a ton of picture quality for a bigger screen than 65”. You can get *much* better quality screens for the same price at the 65" mark, and you don't honestly need more than that unless you have an absolutely huge room.

It's also worth considering that anything over 65” is an absolute PITA to set up, move, etc. You're pretty much at professional home theatre installation territory with that size, as I wouldn't want to take the liability onto myself if anything should go wrong.

you are right. it's just that it's been more than10 years since i got my last tv, and tv prices and sizes have gone further and further apart in 10 years, so i just jumped on the biggest i could afford.

but you are right, i don't need a 75", i just got attracted and distracted by the price. i mean $1,300CAD for a 75" sony, com'on...... it would be crazy 10 years ago.

but now i cleared my head, slapped myself in the face, and i'll look for something between 50" - 65" .

thanks ya'll .

Since you will be using this connected to a computer, make sure that whatever you do, make sure it is IPS.

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

Since you will be using this connected to a computer, make sure that whatever you do, make sure it is IPS.

nah, i won't be using a computer with it, it's actually for the living-room, or for a small spaced room where there is a couch. i'll probably play switch on it, no ps no xbox.

but thanks for the reminder, i'll keep that in mind. it would be awesome to play fallout 4 on a big butt screen.