100% GPU usage while watching Youtube

Lorenzo31

Hi everyone, first of all sorry if my English is not perfect.
I recently built a very budget Ryzen based PC; everything works great, but there's a little but annoying problem:
I'm actually using a Ryzen 3 3200G APU with a Gigabyte A320M-S2H Motherboard and 16 GB of RAM. It runs light games surprisingly well, but for some reasons seems to struggle a lot with YouTube and Netflix.

Basically, in a very randomic way, the GPU, that usually sits between 15% and 25%, goes up to 100% usage, causing a massive stuttering that doesn't stop until I pause the video. In particular the task manager graph shows that what's running at 100% is "Video Codec 0". At first I thought it was something running in background, but I have the same problem even with just the browser with a single tab running. I have the latest version of Windows 11, the latest AMD drivers and the latest BIOS. There's also no overheating at all while the issue occurs. 

I've noticed that this issue can be solved by disabling Hardware Acceleration in the browser options, but it's not really optimal since that will lock Netflix resolution at 720p on Edge.
I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue and if anyone got a solution.
thank you so much 

Immagine 2021-11-11 181941.png

Have you updated to the most recent  graphics drivers? Have you updated you MoBo BIOS?

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

You have the problem in other browsers, too, like Chrome or Firefox?

14 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

Have you updated to the most recent  graphics drivers? Have you updated you MoBo BIOS?

I have the latest BIOS and the latest version of the AMD adrenaline drivers. I've tried both the Adrenalin 21.10.2 and the Adrenalin 21.11.1, but I've encountered no differences 

Immagine 2021-11-11 184619.png

Immagine 2021-11-11 184701.png

18 minutes ago, slowy said:

You have the problem in other browsers, too, like Chrome or Firefox?

I had the same exact problem with Edge, Chrome and Opera. With FIrefox seems to happen with less frequency, but it's still there, also, unluckily, FIrefox doesn't work too well with the thing I need for my University...

Another thing: I have the same problem even with the official Netflix app from the Microsoft Store

9 minutes ago, Lorenzo31 said:

I had the same exact problem with Edge, Chrome and Opera. With FIrefox seems to happen with less frequency, but it's still there, also, unluckily, FIrefox doesn't work too well with the thing I need for my University...

All these browsers are chromium based browsers...

Can you click right on on the video and show "stats for nerds" and post the result for both edge and firefox?

9 minutes ago, slowy said:

All these browsers are chromium based browsers...

Can you click right on on the video and show "stats for nerds" and post the result for both edge and firefox?

First one is edge, second one is firefox

Edge.png

Firefox.png

Sounds like a) the gpu is realy high loaded or b) the clock is realy low and it doesn't change the power-state

Take a look at this thread:

• 9 months later...

Not sure if anyone's still facing the issue but I was facing exactly the same problem on Chrome/Edge/Opera when playing VP9 videos with HW acceleration on Youtube and other services since early 2020 since I had a Lenovo Ryzen 5 3500U laptop. It got resolved yesterday by simply updating BIOS firmware (LENOVO AMCN31WW(V1.14), 08/06/2022 in my particular case). I actually did update BIOS firmware previously at least twice but that didn't seem to help on Windows 11. Very curiously the issue was present on Windows 10 initially but then somehow it got resolved from what I can remember. Then it reoccurred when I installed Windows 11. Can't imagine it being a coincidence because right after the BIOS firmware update the problem was just gone for good. Was unable to replicate under any scenario with any video since yesterday! Can now play 4K 60fps YouTube videos no problem and it no longer happens. Now when playing 4K60 VP9 videos Codec 0 section in Task Manager goes up to approx 60-70% but stays there and is consistent, never goes to 100% again. A bit of a relief because it was very annoying. So the advice would be to check for the latest BIOS firmware for your particular machine/motherboard and update it manually.