PC not working with GPU installed?

fokum8

I just bought a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and M.2 SSD, and was having a lot of headaches tonight and stayed up until 6am trying to figure it out. My PC runs fine without my GPU installed. It's that simple. If the graphics card is simply sitting in the PCI slot my computer fails to boot. The only question is why? When my graphics card is installed the motherboard defers to the on board graphics and sometimes to the graphics card, but just returns a black screen with a _ on boot. Not even a blinking _

I tried changing the on board graphics setting but no success. When the GPU is installed into the PCI slot I just get the _ or just a black screen (on the on board graphics or GPU)

There's no problem with my Windows install and my power supply is 760w. I think more than enough for my specs but let me know if you think this is the problem.

I have an RTX 2070 Super that worked perfectly until the upgrade. I didn't knock it or anything and the LEDs on it are still running as well as the fans. I really have no idea what's wrong. I've tinkered with the BIOS and still have no clue.

New i5 10600k CPU running at 30°. New RAM, new (compatible) motherboard.

If anyone can help I would seriously appreciate it, thanks for reading 😀

Depending on your motherboard, maybe try another slot on the motherboard? After that, if you have a friend that can help test it out, that would be amazing as well.

Computers do all kinds of weird stuff (just like us, but more random)

9 hours ago, fokum8 said:

I just bought a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and M.2 SSD, and was having a lot of headaches tonight and stayed up until 6am trying to figure it out. My PC runs fine without my GPU installed. It's that simple. If the graphics card is simply sitting in the PCI slot my computer fails to boot. The only question is why? When my graphics card is installed the motherboard defers to the on board graphics and sometimes to the graphics card, but just returns a black screen with a _ on boot. Not even a blinking _

I tried changing the on board graphics setting but no success. When the GPU is installed into the PCI slot I just get the _ or just a black screen (on the on board graphics or GPU)

There's no problem with my Windows install and my power supply is 760w. I think more than enough for my specs but let me know if you think this is the problem.

I have an RTX 2070 Super that worked perfectly until the upgrade. I didn't knock it or anything and the LEDs on it are still running as well as the fans. I really have no idea what's wrong. I've tinkered with the BIOS and still have no clue.

New i5 10600k CPU running at 30°. New RAM, new (compatible) motherboard.

If anyone can help I would seriously appreciate it, thanks for reading 😀

Not sure what board you have but might want to check and make sure that the pcie slot is set to 3 not 4 if it has that option.