Display artifact on GPU

Hello guys, 

Comming here to expose an issue I have been trying to troubleshoot since 2 week now, but I'm literraly out of ideas and stuck now. 

The build is from late june 2021 when I decided to build a little SFF workstation using the intel compute element 9, so I made a system with the following specs.

Cooler Master NC100 case

Cooler Master V650 SFX

Intel NUC 9 Pro - NUC9VXQNB

RTX TITAN 24GB

Corsaire Vengeance (2x32) 64GB SODIMM 2666Mhz 18C

WD Bleu SN550 2To NVMe (stockage drive)

Samsung 980 PRO 1To  MZ-V8P1T0BW (Boot/OS drive)

Windows 10 Pro

The bios is up to date at the latest version at the moment which is 0065.

Here is the problem

I moved out from France to Canada and bring my SFF with me on the plane, for this oportunity I decided to buy a pelicase to store my computer safelly to avoid any damage during the transport, making sure everything was tight and nicely packaged for the flight 😉

10 hours of flight later arriving at the hotel room I take all the gear out and install my setup, but when the screen turn on I see this weird line on the monitor !

IMG_0132-min.thumb.jpeg.1604f25bf571f16247018618af11fc76.jpeg

So from there I started looking on the monitor side, but everything was fine as I also bring my laptop and tested with it directly, so monitor and cable was good, but in the doubt I tried on the TV that was on the room, and same deal, even with a different cable. But this time all pink and it take all the screen... 

1206709472_IMG_0137(1)-min.thumb.jpeg.372d81cc12cdb10d61a9c24d261c11d9.jpeg

So from there I tried booting on the internal graphics of the NUC, and here everything is fine ! So I guess the probleme is from my GPU then ? trying to look futher in the troobleshoot I cam across a problem that would not help me at all, later in the week I got my hand on a RTX4000 to try and replace the faulty RTX TITAN I have installed in the system, but I have the same problem, horizontal line all over the display again. 

So from there I decided to once again reinstall windows from scratch, bios, drivers, and nothing help, weird thing is the card is recognized in the the device manager as it should be, but there a warning sign and when displaying the properties it says error 43. Then there is a Serial port with a warning and diplays error 28, but nothing will help by either updating or re-installing driver. 

IMG_0333-min.thumb.jpg.10c1b99daa388b1e421fb078251c3b3b.jpgIMG_0331-min.thumb.jpg.8648b24de511ec8fdd21da9df7806a7b.jpgIMG_0332-min.thumb.jpg.2e688887a3691ec6df5d6c238bd6cea4.jpgIMG_0330-min.thumb.jpg.d7000bbb4371569bf532c9cec6f6479a.jpg

And it does this for both, and that make no sense to me as the artifact does not behave like a faulty gpu on the screen, because when I open a windows they go away on the windows area !

IMG_0140.mov

And the list keeps going, after looking closely I noticed that my cursor is completly fine and not impacted by the line, proof ! It goes above the line and display perfectly well... O.O

IMG_0140 (1).mov

After all, I plugge both GPU in a friend system, and they do work perfectly fine. I then checked each pcie lan on the baseboard of the Coller Master NC100 that connect both NUC and GPU, going over each solder point with a beeper to spot a defective solder but everything is fine ?! 

So at this stage my only guess is either a software related issue maybe ? I don't have any idea on how I can fix this issue. I was wondering if this could be related to the power supply maybe ? but the input is rated to work on 110 and 220 so I don't think that will make any diference really. 

So if you guys think of a solution ill be happy to try every new proposition ! 

I'm sorry to say but that Titan RTX looks to not be long for this world. That looks exactly like memory artifacts.

You mentioned you used this Titan RTX in another system and you saw none of these issues?  

Considering this is happening on a second GPU in the same system, and not happening with the same GPUs in a different system, I'm almost certain this is a problem with either the interconnect board in the NC100 or the NUC board, not the GPU. Try reseating the NUC board as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

I'm sorry to say but that Titan RTX looks to not be long for this world. That looks exactly like memory artifacts.

You mentioned you used this Titan RTX in another system and you saw none of these issues?  

Exactly, In an other system it work like a charm ! But I am wondering if maybe an issue related to the nuc could cause a memory leak on the gpu or something like this ? As you can see the card show in the device manager, and the line does not stay still, they disapear when bringing up a windows, and the cursor can go above... 

51 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Considering this is happening on a second GPU in the same system, and not happening with the same GPUs in a different system, I'm almost certain this is a problem with either the interconnect board in the NC100 or the NUC board, not the GPU. Try reseating the NUC board as well.

Indeed, tryed reseting the NUC 3 times to factory, with bios downgrade, but nothing helps so far, for the baseboard connecting both module, as I said I took 2 hours to tests the pcie lan to find a bad solder point, but they are all good 

15 minutes ago, julesgg1 said:

Indeed, tryed reseting the NUC 3 times to factory, with bios downgrade, but nothing helps so far, for the baseboard connecting both module, as I said I took 2 hours to tests the pcie lan to find a bad solder point, but they are all good 

PCIe is a high speed digital communication bus. Continuity is the very minimum required for it to work correctly, but there are plenty of other things that can interfere. Just confirming that there are no bad solder joints doesn't mean that it is undamaged, and without specialized knowledge and equipment you won't be able to confirm it's functioning correctly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

9 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

PCIe is a high speed digital communication bus. Continuity is the very minimum required for it to work correctly, but there are plenty of other things that can interfere. Just confirming that there are no bad solder joints doesn't mean that it is undamaged, and without specialized knowledge and equipment you won't be able to confirm it's functioning correctly.

Might ask Cooler master an RMA for the baseboard then and give it a shot I guess