AW2721D Colour Separated Flicker

Wibble239

I am getting a "colour separated flicker", can't think of another way to describe it.

Video showing the issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a22Gb8K-y3OVsG4_zFR_ysTkPZNX0bTi/view?usp=sharing (File too large to upload directly)

This issue had been happening for the past couple of months and I am unsure on which component is causing the issue. I have not seen the flicker happen on the desktop or when watching videos/streams, it only happens in games, as far as I have seen. The issue is worst in less demanding games like The Binding of Isaac where it seems to happen up to 2 times in 5 minutes; however, it does also happen on the menu screen for Overwatch (not seen it happen while in a game).

Because the issue seems somewhat application dependant, I assumed the issue was with the graphics card (Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC) and sent it for repair under warranty; however, it was sent back saying "Following extensive tests by our Returns Technicians we have been unable to locate the fault you reported, therefore, the goods will be returned to you with no further action". I have also tried DDU to install the drivers fresh and there was no change.

The issue was not present when using my CPUs internal graphics (6700k) but I was limited to 144Hz instead of the full 240Hz I normally use so I am not sure I can completely rule out the displayport cable and monitor due to the lower bandwidth requirement.

If anyone with better knowledge this type of issue can let me know which component is causing this/suggest options that might fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.

PC specs:

OS - Windows 10 64-bit

CPU - Intel I7-6700k

Motherboard - Asus Maximus VIII Hero

RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 16GB

Graphics card - Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC

PSU - Corsair RM750i

Monitor - Alienware AW2721D (using supplied displayport cable)

Screen Issue Frame 1.jpg

Screen Issue Frame 2.jpg

I have now tried a new cable (Club3d recommended cable for HBR3 in the Displays section) and this has not made a difference

I have noticed that the issue is happening mainly with 60fps content, so g-sync would be active (The Binding of Isaac is capped at 60 and Overwatch menues are also capped at 60). I turned of g-sync in the nvidia control panel and I havent seen the issue in 3 days now so the problem seems to be with g-sync. Still unsure whether the problem is with the monitors g-sync module or my gpu as I dont really know what each part does to make g-sync work.

• 2 years later...

Thread Resurrection!

I have the Alienware AW2723DF monitor which is FreeSync Premium Pro certified and I too have this exact same problem with mine. 

Disabling GSYNC entirely seems to resolve the issue, but that’s pretty disappointing. 

I notice it with content above 60 though, such as Escape from Tarkov or World of Warcraft Classic. 

Have you had any other solution work for you? I’m thinking about having Dell replace it or something. 

IMG_2139.png

On 1/5/2024 at 5:48 PM, NFX45 said:

Thread Resurrection!

I have the Alienware AW2723DF monitor which is FreeSync Premium Pro certified and I too have this exact same problem with mine. 

Disabling GSYNC entirely seems to resolve the issue, but that’s pretty disappointing. 

I notice it with content above 60 though, such as Escape from Tarkov or World of Warcraft Classic. 

Have you had any other solution work for you? I’m thinking about having Dell replace it or something. 

IMG_2139.png

I have this issue as well, but with the AW2721D like OP. The only way I have managed to "fix it" is by lowering the refresh rate to 200 Hz or as you said, turning off VRR completely. Not a real fix, but this is the 3rd AW2721D that have gone through my hands and at this point, I can't be bothered to go through with a 3rd RMA just to risk getting another refurb with even worse problems that I might not be able work around. I'll be cutting my losses and replacing this lemon of a monitor altogether soon anyway, so I'll just use it at 200 Hz until then.

It is interesting that you have this issue with the non-gsync ultimate version though, as that would indicate that this is a problem with the panel itself and not the gsync module found in the AW2721D variant. I read long ago in some other website about somebody running the AW2721D with an AMD card, that changing the minimum VRR range from 1 Hz to 40 Hz with CRU fixed the problem for them. However, this does not seem to work if you are using the AW2721D with an Nvidia card as it seems like the gsync module or the nvidia GPU drivers dictate that stuff. No matter what I change the VRR range to with CRU, the monitor still continues to use the 1 ~ 240 Hz range but perhaps this works for you with your AW2723DF, although FreeSync should already have a 48 Hz minimum refresh rate. You are probably best returning it and hoping for the best though. Dell support is really good and fast, plus at least in my case (USA) they did advanced RMA without requiring a deposit the two times I claimed warranty on the AW2721D.

Good luck.

Edited by VelvetxSR

• 4 months later...

Hello again,

I received a replacement from Dell and the monitor also suffers from the same problem, but it presents slightly differently (different colors that flicker / size) on the replacement, the middle two thirds flicker blue for example.before.thumb.jpeg.43891f239423f2674c45be59e5f1fe26.jpeg
Frame before

during.thumb.jpeg.09cfb6c05c254f227cc0a5915cdd4d2d.jpeg

Next Frame

after.thumb.jpeg.03c4baf4a9f2ad53612ac2ee6004f6e8.jpeg

F
rame after that.

Video of it happening.

Edit:

Computer specs,
Intel 11900k,
64GB DDR4,
EVGA 3080 Ti 12GB FTW3 Ultra,

Problem happens on multiple computers with disparate hardware.

Tried different displayport cables, etc.