DAC/AMP yes or no?

needmorewood

Ok i've been searching around allot for a USB dac and/or amp
my setup revolves around a lenovo y580 powering everything as a desktop replacement
these are my requests to fill if possible

1. Price of around $100 IF its worth it (ie if something $50 is only slightly worse than might as well get that)

2. portability is optional 
3. would prefer if it was from canada Computers 
4. Links!!! makes my life easier :P

5. these are for my custom one pro's!! 

can anyone explain the purpose of the amp? cause then i might just get a dac only. IF an amp just makes it louder than i really dont need it 

as u can see im new to this audio stuff dont make fun of me :P

FINAL DECISION: will get the E10 in the next couple of days... just busy atm
thanks everyone that helped

they all look great!

can u explain the differences between the e10 and e17? e17 is double the price... if its worth it ill save up but if not ill go for e10

can u explain the differences between the e10 and e17?

It's a 24bit / 96 Khz DAC instead of the E10 which is 16 bit / 44 Khz.  Do you have 24/96 FLAC files?  If not, it probably won't make a major difference.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

the e17 can be docked to the e9, and can be used as an amp only from a phone or other media player.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

It's a 24bit / 96 Khz DAC instead of the E10 which is 16 bit / 44 Khz.  Do you have 24/96 FLAC files?  If not, it probably won't make a major difference.

this may be a bad question but how do i check ive checked file properties and im really not sure how to check. they are flac files though

this may be a bad question but how do i check ive checked file properties and im really not sure how to check. they are flac files though

Your audio player should be able to tell you.  Foobar2000 shows that on the status pane at the bottom and in each file's properties.  What audio player do you use?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Your audio player should be able to tell you.  Foobar2000 shows that on the status pane at the bottom and in each file's properties.  What audio player do you use?

i use foobar i can see some are 16/44 in majority it seems

Edit : all of them*

if you have to ask, you're not using 24/96.

cds are 16bit/44.1 khz

guess ur right, anywway to get that higher quality audio at a consumer level? for music that is

hdtracks.com is the only place I know of, unless you want to spin vinyl and record it yourself

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

The E17 will still sound better than the E10 regardless of bitrate. It has a much better quality Wolfson DAC in it which is superior to the one in the E10. There would be other factors that make it better as well, in saying this though it wouldn't be worth it unless your cans are good enough to take advantage of a better dac. Any headphones will sound better with an amp and a dac even low ohm high sensitivity ones, with cans that are easily powered a dac is probably a better choice over an amp but of course both is better than just one.

The E17 will still sound better than the E10 regardless of bitrate. It has a much better quality Wolfson DAC in it which is superior to the one in the E10. There would be other factors that make it better as well, in saying this though it wouldn't be worth it unless your cans are good enough to take advantage of a better dac.

Other factors? Like what? I guess it IS prettier.

Circuitry design, quality of the parts used etc. When your paying near on twice the price you should get more than just 24/96 capabilities.

Edit: I mistaken the E10 for the E7 :/

As far as I know the E10 is pretty close to the E17 in terms of SQ...

E10 is a solid choice for anyone not using their equipment on the go.

EDIT: for anyone not using their gear on portable devices. ;) newkid.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

E10 is a solid choice for anyone not using their equipment on the go.

it may not be portable, but it definitely is transportable.

it may not be portable, but it definitely is transportable.

Ahhh, you know what I mean... :)

just thought it might not be clear to everyone :D . i dont own any of the three devices, but ive read that the e10 is better. Fiio is a reputable company, probably more so than the other two, and have put out quality products

:( I have an e10 and I have a few hundred songs in 24/96.... oh well, not that I'd be able to tell the difference ^^

the e10 does support 24bit/96k

oh, nvm then.

Ah, thought so, but h264 usually knows what he's on about hahah :)