Miscellaneous Modding Parts

douchecanoe

Looking to pick up a few parts for an upcoming Powermac G5 mod I'm hoping to do, been scouring the internet but there's only a few options

Since the G5 case uses a special motherboard standard I need to buy a motherboard tray to support ATX motherboards, however I was actually hoping to just fit mATX in there

Many people doing G5 mods use this MountainMods motherboard tray (with two 80mm fan holes), but I've also been looking at the mATX Lian Li tray

Deciding between the two, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I realize that an ATX try would also fit mATX but I would have to do less cutting if I just got an mATX board to begin with

My main question is about a hard drive rack though

The one that comes with the G5 is cheap plastic and lacking in a couple things I want, mainly hotswap

So, I've been looking at getting this Lian Li hotswap cage, but it's so expensive for what it is! Especially since I'd remove the front bezel and rear fan to use it internally instead of in a 5.25" bay

However, Lian Li also sells this hard drive backplane to turn cages into a hotswap cage, but I still need a cage that I can easily slide in and out of to mount internally, on the cheap. Preferably 2 drives but I think a 3 drive cage might also fit. Corsair also sells one but I'm not sure what interface it uses to connect to the motherboard and what cages it will work with, and 4 drives might be too much

Another problem is I have no idea where to buy the Lian Li backplane

Planning on also getting some sleeve (probably from MDPC) and some noise dampening material, but I got that figured out, so all I need is a motherboard tray and a hard drive cage

Any help is completely appreciated!

For the mobo tray, assuming you have some tools since you are modding a case, just drill new spots for standoffs? Or is the back plate/PCI spacing different too?

For the mobo tray, assuming you have some tools since you are modding a case, just drill new spots for standoffs? Or is the back plate/PCI spacing different too?
Drilling new places for standoff's isn't possible because it's literally one slab of aluminum on the back, there basically is no motherboard tray. The way Apple did it is basically glue on the standoffs to the back panel, which I might even go about doing