Framework laptop drivers (Windows and Linux)

ShaunOrian

I was wondering what the situation is with the framework laptop's drivers. I am tempted, but I am not sure I can risk the company going offline with buggy drivers. Has there been any reports on driver instability or some "long term" review? I know the laptop is pretty recent, but issues of this kind should start surfacing.

56 minutes ago, ShaunOrian said:

I know the laptop is pretty recent

It's not even out yet. But since it's a bog standard Intel platform, what would there be to go wrong?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

It's not even out yet. But since it's a bog standard Intel platform, what would there be to go wrong?

Sure, but what about the other stuff, say camera, microphone, wifi adapter, even the monitor, in fact all the bits and pieces that are supposed to be replaceable, how does  the company handle drivers? Windows may be the easier version since Windows itself may have the drivers, but for Linux it's less clear.

Also, don't they have any "Framework" specific software installed in Windows, like so many other manufacturers do?

All this stuff is standard and just works out of the box both in Windows and linux. WiFi adapter you could choose yours, monitor haven't needed a driver for decades...

Drivers really aren't an issue nowadays unless you use very non-standard stuff.

17 minutes ago, ShaunOrian said:

lso, don't they have any "Framework" specific software installed in Windows, like so many other manufacturers do?

The reviews I've seen the laptop wasn't even assembled and thus the SSD was new and blank, they clean installed the OS themselves so no bloatware (and it all just worked).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2