Really bad performances with my laptop (thermal throttle)

askjd25

I've bought my laptop 3 years ago now and I had performance issues since the beginning because of the heat it generates while playing, but at first it wasn't that big of a problem because games would run just fine even on max settings.

Since a few months tho I'm not able to play Dead by Daylight on low, I keep getting big frame drops every 45-60 seconds (I'm guessing it's because of the thermal throttle).

I bought thermal paste 2 years ago because i wanted to change it to maybe get better temperatures but I decided not to change it in the end because I was too scared to break something and I would also lose warranty. 
Now it became unbearable tho so I will do ANYTHING to get my performances back, even if it requires disabling the thermal throttle threshold (I don't care if this might break my pc, it would be a good reason to change it if it happens).

P.S. I've already tried using throttlestop to mitigate the issue but it's too complicated to use and after updating my laptop bios i can't change my mhz anymore 51435473

These are my laptop's fans. I opened it today to look at em and the cpu one is REALLY dusty, so if you can suggest to me a good thermal paste and some tools to remove the old thermal pastephoto_2021-08-06_12-57-05.thumb.jpg.000fce1f795efe8bef86f5ae3af0706d.jpg

photo_2021-08-06_12-56-58.thumb.jpg.7378cdfcbedaefe21264c8efe896168a.jpgphoto_2021-08-06_12-57-03.thumb.jpg.b1e421d4adfce51f3b3b0d97dfac7ad0.jpg

first of all try a compressed air duster on the fans to get rid of the dust, see how that goes.  Also make sure your laptop has plenty of ventilation when being used. If you still want to re-apply thermal paste you just need some isopropyl alcohol and a tissue to get rid of the old paste. 

Just now, evilcloud said:

first of all try a compressed air duster on the fans to get rid of the dust, see how that goes.  Also make sure your laptop has plenty of ventilation when being used. If you still want to re-apply thermal paste you just need some isopropyl alcohol and a tissue to get rid of the old paste. 

Do i need to remove the fans from the laptop or i can leave them in? because if I need to remove them I'll have to remove the heatsink too, so I'll have to reapply the thermal paste

you don't need to remove the fans to use the compressed air.  You'd only need to remove them if you want to re-apply thermal paste as they are usually attached to the heat sinks so they come off in one unit (heatsink and fan together), or you have to remove one to remove the other.

good little video here for you about the compressed air and fans - Cleaning the laptop fan - The Easy and Fast way - YouTube

3 hours ago, evilcloud said:

you don't need to remove the fans to use the compressed air.  You'd only need to remove them if you want to re-apply thermal paste as they are usually attached to the heat sinks so they come off in one unit (heatsink and fan together), or you have to remove one to remove the other.

good little video here for you about the compressed air and fans - Cleaning the laptop fan - The Easy and Fast way - YouTube

and how do i disable the thermal treshold?

dust the fans good and go to your local best buy or electronics retailer buy thermal paste ~20$
and re apply thermal paste and enjoy the laptop I fixit has some great guides My only advice it to be careful with heatsink screws and they are a burden if stripped out.

A new problem arised, the only compressed hair I have at home is with my compressor. Is it good anyways?

1 hour ago, DatNerdBJ said:

dust the fans good and go to your local best buy or electronics retailer buy thermal paste ~20$
and re apply thermal paste and enjoy the laptop I fixit has some great guides My only advice it to be careful with heatsink screws and they are a burden if stripped out.

6 hours ago, evilcloud said:

36 minutes ago, askjd25 said:

A new problem arised, the only compressed hair I have at home is with my compressor. Is it good anyways?

I use my air compressor for it all the time few things to think about.
1. air compressors typically will have a bit of moisture.
2. high volume of air.
the main thing is make sure you hold the fans still if not they will spin up and create voltage enough to burn out the fan header.
the other thing is if there is moisture in your compressor just be cognizant of it and let it dry before you power it on. for what its worth I have never had an issue with moisture but I live in a dry area.

also I like to use old toothbrushes for the fans after they have been blown out to get any residual dust. 

16 hours ago, DatNerdBJ said:

also I like to use old toothbrushes for the fans after they have been blown out to get any residual dust. 

well, my laptop is an expensive one, so i want to go as safe as possible, this means that today imma go and try to find some compressed hair in a store