Windows Update causing PC to hang ?

Mikey89

Hello

So i was on youtube earlier and decided to go in settings >> windows update to see if there's anything new

The windows update window just hanged...

1) i tried running AIDA64 to see if something's wrong and it hanged when loading "SMART"...

3) I then i tried closing AIDA64 with task manager but got error and couldn't

2) i then proceeded to restart the PC but that didn't work either

4) i just gave up and manually shut down by pushing the power button for like 5 seconds

5) waited 20 seconds and then turned on PC and everything back to normal

Anyone have any ideas what could've caused this ?

I think it's something with the windows update setting since i had this happen a few times on my 2TB HDD SATA III.

But what happened now was on my 2TB M.2 NVMe.

Would really appreciate if anyone had this happen before and if they know what is causing this.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

Thanks for moving it... i was actually thinking maybe i made a mistake posting in the OS forums. 😁🤣

1 minute ago, Mikey89 said:

Thanks for moving it... i was actually thinking maybe i made a mistake posting in the OS forums. 😁🤣

This one gets more views overall.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

This one gets more views overall.

You mean the Troubleshooting forum compared to the OS forum ?

4 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

You mean the Troubleshooting forum compared to the OS forum ?

Yes. Another good might have been the dedicated Windows subforum, but this issue might have more related than just OS itself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yes. Another good might have been the dedicated Windows subforum, but this issue might have more related than just OS itself.

@LogicalDrm

Just wanted to ask, i don't suppose you might know what was causing the issue ? 🙂

I tend to thing it was just windows explorer going into "retard mode" since there was no actual update that was downloading in WU. It was mostly just the WU setting window hanging.

3 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@LogicalDrm

Just wanted to ask, i don't suppose you might know what was causing the issue ? 🙂

I tend to thing it was just windows explorer going into "retard mode" since there was no actual update that was downloading in WU. It was mostly just the WU setting window hanging.

I can only guess. Usually, when Windows doesn't work correctly, I go and see what and when last updates were installed. Microsoft is best company at breaking their own stuff. You don't want updates immediedly if you don't want issues, you want them couple months behind the curve when every other guinea pig has ironed the bugs out.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

38 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I can only guess. Usually, when Windows doesn't work correctly, I go and see what and when last updates were installed. Microsoft is best company at breaking their own stuff. You don't want updates immediedly if you don't want issues, you want them couple months behind the curve when every other guinea pig has ironed the bugs out.

@LogicalDrm

This didn't while during an update was downloading or installing though.

I just wanted to go in WU settings to see if there was anything new but the WU windows just didn't load... all i got where those blue dots at the top of the window when a window is loading.

9 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@LogicalDrm

This didn't while during an update was downloading or installing though.

I just wanted to go in WU settings to see if there was anything new but the WU windows just didn't load... all i got where those blue dots at the top of the window when a window is loading.

That could indicate the the update server/service is down. And I meant that it was some previous update causing it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

That could indicate the the update server/service is down. And I meant that it was some previous update causing it.

@LogicalDrm

But if it was just the update service down then why when i opened AIDA64 it caused AIDA64 to freeze at SMART devices and i couldn't open it.

I tried killing AIDA64 with task manager and Windows gave me error.

I then proceeded to restart and couldn't.

I powered OFF the PC by holding down power button for 5 seconds or more. When i turned ON the PC again the issue was gone. Also the LED indicating that the SSD or HDD is working was always ON during this time. It wasn't blinking or anything it just stayed ON like frozen. It was back to normal after i manually shut down and turned ON the PC again.

4 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@LogicalDrm

But if it was just the update service down then why when i opened AIDA64 it caused AIDA64 to freeze at SMART devices and i couldn't open it.

I tried killing AIDA64 with task manager and Windows gave me error.

I then proceeded to restart and couldn't.

I powered OFF the PC by holding down power button for 5 seconds or more. When i turned ON the PC again the issue was gone. Also the LED indicating that the SSD or HDD is working was always ON during this time. It wasn't blinking or anything it just stayed ON like frozen. It was back to normal after i manually shut down and turned ON the PC again.

Sounds like corrupt install. Have you tried to do repair install etc.? Like even the classic, sfc /scannow might give you something.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Sounds like corrupt install. Have you tried to do repair install etc.? Like even the classic, sfc /scannow might give you something.

I didn't because i solved the issue with manual shut down.

But i reinstalled OS like 2-3 weeks ago... i don't think it's the OS... i think windows explorer went into "retard mode" by itself.

I have GIGABYTE B550M DS3H motherboard and Ryzen 5 3600. Also have an ADATA M.2 NVMe - 2TB SSD.

As far as i know i only have an update from

- Advanced Micro Devices

- GPU driver

- Realtek Audio Driver

Do i need like drivers for the MOBO and CPU ?

While gaming everything is fine and i have had no issues... do i need tho drivers for MOBO and CPU ?

Or maybe driver for the M.2 NVMe ?

13 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

But i reinstalled OS like 2-3 weeks ago... i don't think it's the OS... i think windows explorer went into "retard mode" by itself.

Windows Explorer is part of the OS... If any component of the OS stops, thats what corrupted OS means. And the way you would troubleshoot and fix broken compenents of OS is by running diagnostics or repairing install. The latter will fix bad updates for example.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Windows Explorer is part of the OS... If any component of the OS stops, thats what corrupted OS means. And the way you would troubleshoot and fix broken compenents of OS is by running diagnostics or repairing install. The latter will fix bad updates for example.

What about the drivers ?

Are they needed for MOBO, CPU or M.2 that i mentioned above ?

3 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

What about the drivers ?

Are they needed for MOBO, CPU or M.2 that i mentioned above ?

Windows 10 installs most of the required drivers during the install. You can do those manually ofc. But things hanging like that aren't because of missing drivers, or rather that isn't how you would see. Missing drivers usually are seen from lacking in performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Windows 10 installs most of the required drivers during the install. You can do those manually ofc. But things hanging like that aren't because of missing drivers, or rather that isn't how you would see. Missing drivers usually are seen from lacking in performance.

OK so am i good if i don't bother with searching and installing drivers ?

Also can i just leave it like this and in case this happens again i will return with an update ?

3 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

OK so am i good if i don't bother with searching and installing drivers ?

Also can i just leave it like this and in case this happens again i will return with an update ?

Sure. But I really would recommend you do at least the basic diagnostics, or repair install. The latter doesn't harm anything. Doesn't remove any files, and most I've had it done was removing last installed software. Its main purpose is to fix Windows components before OS loads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

Sure. But I really would recommend you do at least the basic diagnostics, or repair install. The latter doesn't harm anything. Doesn't remove any files, and most I've had it done was removing last installed software. Its main purpose is to fix Windows components before OS loads.

I know but i'm not exactly an expert at repair installs since i never did them. 😁

I'll just leave it be for now... last time i reinstalled the OS like 2-3 weeks ago it only took 10 min or less from zero to desktop on the M.2

Also took another 30 min for updates to download and i was all set. Worst case scenario i end up reinstalling the OS and loose 1 hour or so. 🙂

@LogicalDrm

Thanks for all the replies, managed to solve the issue with your info by just letting it be for now. 🙂