Consistent High ping until router reset

Splarticus

Hello, 

I'm running into some issues with my network connection as of recently. I've noticed that when I get on pretty much any game for the first time for the day I get high yet consistent ping. It happens in League of Legends, Normally it have ~20 ms but before resetting my router I'll have a consistent ~110 ms. Apex Legends is the same normally I'll have ~35 ms but before resetting my router I'll have a consistent ~110 ms. It's pretty much the same for all games but I'll have to reset my router to have a decent experience. I have a Netgear R7000 router and I'm plugged into the ethernet port 1. I've tried messing with router settings but nothing has really seemed to work so I wanted to see if anyone here would be able to give some insight? 

Thanks everyone

Sounds like a bug in the router's firmware. Probably some buffer is running full and a reset clears it again. You could try updating its firmware, if an update is available.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Sounds like a bug in the router's firmware. Probably some buffer is running full and a reset clears it again. You could try updating its firmware, if an update is available.

@Eigenvektor I did check the firmware and there isn't an update currently. Would it be wise to revert to an older firmware update? This is a new issue I've encountered recently. 

Just now, Splarticus said:

@Eigenvektor I did check the firmware and there isn't an update currently. Would it be wise to revert to an older firmware update? This is a new issue I've encountered recently. 

If that's possible, then yeah, I'd consider doing that. Maybe read the change log, see if you're going to lose any important security updates that way. And maybe try reporting the issue to the manufacturer, in the hopes they fix it in a future update.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Hi, it could be that some other device (or your computer itself) on the router is connected that starts to use bandwidth after a while it is connected.

I have experienced a similar situation but in my case it was mobile hotspot where the bandwidth is limited so if I download something or even if I open a webpage then all of a sudden the ping goes high, but then when there is not such load the ping goes to normal. 

The reason the ping goes higher if it only your computer connected could be due to some updates (or even Windows Telemetry, this is mostly the culprit)

See if you have any monitoring tool in your router webpage that shows live download/upload statistics to pinpoint exact behavior. Maybe update the router firmware if that is available could also help.