GPU suggestions

Luke94

So I am building my 2nd pc and I can't decide on graphic card. At the moment I've only chosen the motherboard and CPU. it's been years since I built my first pc so my knowledge of what's compatible is a little bit rusty Any help would be much appreciate.

I should mention for GPU I have a budget of anything between £/$500-£/$1,000

Motherboard - Gigabyte AMD AM4 X570 AORUS XTREME D4 E-ATX

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5950X

Many thanks

In normal times, I'd recommend either the RX 6800XT if you don't care about ray tracing performance and game at 1440p or lower, or the RTX 3080 if you do care about ray tracing or game at 4K. Also, if you can use NVENC for streaming or encoding, I'd also lean towards the RTX 3080.

Since we are in a version of reality where GPU prices are insane, I'd recommend waiting a few months for prices to get closer to normal. They are finally starting to come down, slowly but surely.

Since the 5950X doesn't have integrated graphics, you could pick up a cheap graphics card used on eBay for $50 or so (I've been recommending the Quadro K620 or GTX 650 in that price range) and that would let you use the computer for web browsing and watching videos and to play basic/older game titles until prices normalize.

Amazing thank you so much for your help.

I'll be gaming and using the PC for heavy workloads so RTX 3080 sounds like a good choice.

Yeah I will wait a few months for the prices to get somewhat back to normal. And plan my case and other parts I want 😊

39 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

In normal times, I'd recommend either the RX 6800XT if you don't care about ray tracing performance and game at 1440p or lower, or the RTX 3080 if you do care about ray tracing or game at 4K. Also, if you can use NVENC for streaming or encoding, I'd also lean towards the RTX 3080.

Since we are in a version of reality where GPU prices are insane, I'd recommend waiting a few months for prices to get closer to normal. They are finally starting to come down, slowly but surely.

Since the 5950X doesn't have integrated graphics, you could pick up a cheap graphics card used on eBay for $50 or so (I've been recommending the Quadro K620 or GTX 650 in that price range) and that would let you use the computer for web browsing and watching videos and to play basic/older game titles until prices normalizes.

Sorry forgot to ask can the RTX 3080 be -Ti or not?

Many thanks

17 minutes ago, Luke94 said:

Sorry forgot to ask can the RTX 3080 be -Ti or not?

Many thanks

If we're talking normal prices, the RTX 3080 Ti has poor price-to-performance. Its MSRP is $1200 compared to the $800 of the RTX 3080, but it's only 10% faster. It's basically as fast as you can get, almost as fast as the RTX 3090, but with only 12GB of VRAM compared to the 24GB on the RTX 3090. It also sometimes loses to the RX 6900XT, which has 16GB of VRAM for a $1000 MSRP. So, basically, if you're going to go all out on your graphics card, just get the 3090 or 6900XT. The 3080 Ti is in a no-man's-land where it's too expensive to be price competitive, but it still isn't the fastest card out there.

41 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If we're talking normal prices, the RTX 3080 Ti has poor price-to-performance. Its MSRP is $1200 compared to the $800 of the RTX 3080, but it's only 10% faster. It's basically as fast as you can get, almost as fast as the RTX 3090, but with only 12GB of VRAM compared to the 24GB on the RTX 3090. It also sometimes loses to the RX 6900XT, which has 16GB of VRAM for a $1000 MSRP. So, basically, if you're going to go all out on your graphics card, just get the 3090 or 6900XT. The 3080 Ti is in a no-man's-land where it's too expensive to be price competitive, but it still isn't the fastest card out there.

Okay awesome thank you for your help and knowledge my appreciated.