Replacing computer parts

I have an igpu and a integrated cpu, so I can't change out any of those, and they're really impacting the performance on my laptop. If I want to focus on gaming, but I don't want to make any upgrades too pricey, how much would a good motherboard cost, as well as a igpu? (I want to stick with igpu's, since dgpu's are really expensive rn)

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say. What is your laptop? Most laptops don't have socketed (upgradeable) CPUs.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

He's asking for a complete motherboard "upgrade" for his laptop. 

@KeaghanI don't think you realize what an undertaking that is. First of all, that a a completely uncommon request. To be honest, its just not something people do at all. Even if you could do it, your only options will be from the higher end models of your exact laptop. You'd need to know your exact model and what other versions of that model where available when yours was new then source that board. 

7 minutes ago, rickeo said:

He's asking for a complete motherboard "upgrade" for his laptop. 

@KeaghanI don't think you realize what an undertaking that is. First of all, that a a completely uncommon request. To be honest, its just not something people do at all. Even if you could do it, your only options will be from the higher end models of your exact laptop. You'd need to know your exact model and what other versions of that model where available when yours was new then source that board. 

Yeah, I was partially wondering that. I was just thinking that I could maybe upgrade my pc, since I doubt I'm getting a new one anytime soon, but I guess that's inefficient? It also sounds pretty complicated to change out almost everything, and I guess there's a line you cross when you stop tying to upgrade an older pc, and decide to get a better one. 

In case it matters, here are my specs:

HP EliteBook 850 G1

Intel Core i5 -210U 1.7GHz

Intel HD Graphics family

16 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

5 minutes ago, Keaghan said:

Yeah, I was partially wondering that. I was just thinking that I could maybe upgrade my pc, since I doubt I'm getting a new one anytime soon, but I guess that's inefficient? It also sounds pretty complicated to change out almost everything, and I guess there's a line you cross when you stop tying to upgrade an older pc, and decide to get a better one. 

In case it matters, here are my specs:

HP EliteBook 850 G1

Intel Core i5 -210U 1.7GHz

Intel HD Graphics family

16 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

Well, not entirely. People upgrade their PC's all the time. Trouble is, you don't have a desktop, you have a laptop. Outside of RAM, people don't really upgrade them ever as it would require, as I went over above, an entire motherboard swap. Price you pay when you buy a laptop. The motherboards are not like desktop PC motherboards where theyr'e more or less interchangeable as they all adhere to the ATX standard. Laptop boards are all more or less custom units from model to model and sub-model to sub-model. 

There's a chance one from the same year but with the better CPU won't even fit.

IMO, you might want to start looking in popular classifieds' in your area for gaming PC's for sale. Most basic "gaming" PC's will be more powerful than what's in that laptop you have.

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

Well, not entirely. People upgrade their PC's all the time. Trouble is, you don't have a desktop, you have a laptop. Outside of RAM, people don't really upgrade them ever as it would require, as I went over above, an entire motherboard swap. Price you pay when you buy a laptop. The motherboards are not like desktop PC motherboards where theyr'e more or less interchangeable as they all adhere to the ATX standard. Laptop boards are all more or less custom units from model to model and sub-model to sub-model. 

There's a chance one from the same year but with the better CPU won't even fit.

IMO, you might want to start looking in popular classifieds' in your area for gaming PC's for sale. 

Ok thank you. This was really helpful 🙂