Installing Arch Linux

I've been trying a lot to get arch linux to work on an iMac form late 2006, I got the usb installer to boot but it gives the error: 

ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/multi' did not show up after 30 seconds...

ls /dev/disk/by-label:

BOOTCAMP EFI	HD

and /etc/fstab has nothing in it.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:54 PM, archiso said:

I've been trying a lot to get arch linux to work on an iMac form late 2006, I got the usb installer to boot but it gives the error: 

ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/multi' did not show up after 30 seconds...

ls /dev/disk/by-label:

BOOTCAMP EFI	HD

and /etc/fstab has nothing in it.

that's a pretty old system, does it support a 64bit OS?

Also here's a general wiki post, it doesn't go as far back as you setup though

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mac

3 hours ago, 10leej said:

does it support a 64bit OS?

I've installed Arch on a macbook from this era, and it's a strange procedure to install.  I ended up installing a custom EFI bootloader called "refit" (not sure if it's still available though) and from refit I can call my grub bootloader which passes off to the 64-bit arch install.  Same for the boot media.  The thing is that the EFI is 32-bit, so a 64-bit bootloader just won't work (hence refit)

As for the '/dev/disk/by-id' not showing up, I think we need more information on what "multi" us supposed to be... is that your arch linux USB drive? 

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

20 hours ago, Yuri Fury said:

I've installed Arch on a macbook from this era, and it's a strange procedure to install.  I ended up installing a custom EFI bootloader called "refit" (not sure if it's still available though) and from refit I can call my grub bootloader which passes off to the 64-bit arch install.  Same for the boot media.  The thing is that the EFI is 32-bit, so a 64-bit bootloader just won't work (hence refit)

As for the '/dev/disk/by-id' not showing up, I think we need more information on what "multi" us supposed to be... is that your arch linux USB drive? 

I ended fixing the problem by rewriting my grub.cfg by hand, currently x doesn’t work but I only need it as a server so that doesn’t mater.