Port Forwarding With 2 Routers.

I have a time Warner cable and the wireless router they have built in to the modem is awful so I have a Netgear router hooked up to the modem. Both have the option for port forwarding and I have tried them both. But neither of them work and the ports are never open. Does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Robbie

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.7 Ghz  Cooler: Cooler master seidon 120m GPU: EVGA Gtx 660 SC Ram: Corsair 8Gb  Storage: 128 Smasung 840 ssd and 1 Tb wd blue. Case: Corsair Air 540

Need a little more information here.

I'm trying to guess that you will have to forward from the first router to the ip configured on the second router and then forward from the second router to the host that you want to forward to.

Signatures are stupid.

Need a little more information here.

I'm trying to guess that you will have to forward from the first router to the ip configured on the second router and then forward from the second router to the host that you want to forward to.

And how do I do that?

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.7 Ghz  Cooler: Cooler master seidon 120m GPU: EVGA Gtx 660 SC Ram: Corsair 8Gb  Storage: 128 Smasung 840 ssd and 1 Tb wd blue. Case: Corsair Air 540

And how do I do that?

A rudimentary solution:

TW Modem-Router(Inside Interface: Static IP) -------> (External (WAN) Interface: Static IP)Netgear Router----> Devices on internal network

Then you configure port forwarding on the TW for say port 3500 to the static IP of the Netgear, then on the Netgear, you can configure port forwarding for 3500 to the target device

It sounds a bit ropey and I have no idea how configurable those routers are TBH so I can't guarantee this topology will work :P

The modem shouldnt have any port forwarding features if its actually acting as a modem. are you sure it isnt doing any routing? Why do you think you need two routers?

I have AT&T and the modem they gave me is crap (it also has wireless capabilities). What I did to battle it was to disable the wireless feature on the modem, due to the fact that I have an ASUS RT-N66U router. I then port forwarded just like you would normally on the router and then it worked. However, I did have to go into the settings of the modem to allow my computer to accept the connections trying to come through. 

public static void main(String[] args){

System.out.println("Hello, World!");

}

I have AT&T and the modem they gave me is crap (it also has wireless capabilities). What I did to battle it was to disable the wireless feature on the modem, due to the fact that I have an ASUS RT-N66U router. I then port forwarded just like you would normally on the router and then it worked. However, I did have to go into the settings of the modem to allow my computer to accept the connections trying to come through.

The modem shouldnt have any port forwarding features if its actually acting as a modem. are you sure it isnt doing any routing? Why do you think you need two routers?

A rudimentary solution:

TW Modem-Router(Inside Interface: Static IP) -------> (External (WAN) Interface: Static IP)Netgear Router----> Devices on internal network

Then you configure port forwarding on the TW for say port 3500 to the static IP of the Netgear, then on the Netgear, you can configure port forwarding for 3500 to the target device

It sounds a bit ropey and I have no idea how configurable those routers are TBH so I can't guarantee this topology will work :P

The modem is also acting as a router even though I turned off the wireless. The TW modem does not cover the whole house and has bad speeds. I will experiment with some soultions today and see if I can get it working from the info here.

Thanks,

Robbie

The modem is also acting as a router even though I turned off the wireless. The TW modem does not cover the whole house and has bad speeds. I will experiment with some soultions today and see if I can get it working from the info here.

Thanks,

Robbie

A router doesnt provide a wireless signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_%28computing%29

A router doesnt provide a wireless signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_(computing)

I turned off the wireless functionality on the modem not the netgear router.

I turned off the wireless functionality on the modem not the netgear router.

Can you draw a diagram of the network you currently have and include model numbers of everything? It will make it easier to see what you are trying to do.

Sorry for the crude drawing. lol

post-15588-0-70952800-1396550653_thumb.p

If you have a laptop connected to the gateway router then you can't really turn off its routing/DCHP functionality and try to switch it to solely work as a modem.

I would look into your n300, if you could drop it's WAN firewall, turn off NAT, have it act as a basic router and wireless AP, then you can let the Arris deal with NAT/DHCP etc, and just configure port forwarding there?

Just had a quick look, here is an N300 manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3300V2/DGND3300v2_UM_13Mar12.pdf

Is that the model you have? There is a section describing how to turn off NAT/Firewall, indicating it'll perform standard routing.

It is this one http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR2000V4/WNR2000v4_UM_8Feb2013.pdf

And if I turn off DHCP on the modem do I turn off the lan or the wan?

Sorry for the crude drawing. lol

Your PC is connected through a cable or wireless?

You are going to want to turn off all routing and NAT, DHCP servers and other features like that on your N300.

It is this one http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR2000V4/WNR2000v4_UM_8Feb2013.pdf

And if I turn off DHCP on the modem do I turn off the lan or the wan?

Had a quick look at that manual, not sure if it has the same features as the manual I found, if it does...

Leave DCHP on the modem for both LAN/WAN

I'm wondering if you could get away with plugging your Arris into one of the switchports on the N300, leaving the WAN interface disconnected and turning off DHCP/NAT/Firewall, turning it into basically a switch with an AP attached.

So then your Arris would do all address assignment and gateway routing and you would just configure port-forwarding on that.

I'm not familiar with the equipment so I can't say for sure what options/settings are available on the devices?

Your PC is connected through a cable or wireless?

You are going to want to turn off all routing and NAT, DHCP servers and other features like that on your N300.

The pc is wired.

Had a quick look at that manual, not sure if it has the same features as the manual I found, if it does...

Leave DCHP on the modem for both LAN/WAN

I'm wondering if you could get away with plugging your Arris into one of the switchports on the N300, leaving the WAN interface disconnected and turning off DHCP/NAT/Firewall, turning it into basically a switch with an AP attached.

So then your Arris would do all address assignment and gateway routing and you would just configure port-forwarding on that.

I'm not familiar with the equipment so I can't say for sure what options/settings are available on the devices?

Wouldn't that disable the wireless on the N300. WE have tablets and other wireless devices, So I need to have wireless.

Wouldn't that disable the wireless on the N300. WE have tablets and other wireless devices, So I need to have wireless.

Set the IP address and subnet mask on the n300 to be in the same network as your other router.

You could also replace the N300 with a ethernet switch, and then plug your PC and N300 into that. You would still be able to get your extended Wifi coverage, and you would only have to forward your ports on the first router. This is probably the most sensible option, but it would cost you £10 - £20.

Set the IP address and subnet mask on the n300 to be in the same network as your other router.

You could also replace the N300 with a ethernet switch, and then plug your PC and N300 into that. You would still be able to get your extended Wifi coverage, and you would only have to forward your ports on the first router. This is probably the most sensible option, but it would cost you £10 - £20.

It won't let me make the ips the same.

That wouldn't disable wireless, as your Wireless AP is effectively hard-wired into the internal switch fabric, shared with the switchports on the back of the router. You can have wireless on without DHCP/NAT etc, wireless DHCP Discover messages will be seen by your Arris and served as normal.

Using a switch as Yolo suggested would be good, although then you're basically turning your N300 into just a wireless AP but if you're happy with that it's cool, you might be able to actually sell that and buy a switch and a dedicated wireless AP, so you wouldn't actually be out of pocket anymore.

You should still be able to use the N300s switch to accomplish the same though, without having to buy anything more...

It won't let me make the ips the same.

No you can't set them to be the same, say your Arris DCHP server is using a standard-issue pool of say 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.100 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 with a management/gateway IP of 192.168.0.1, then you can set your N300s management IP to be something like 192.168.0.101 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I'm having some trouble visualizing this, Could you show me a diagram of how the network would look with the suggested changes? 

2aUnD6Z.png

A quick mockup

Thanks