Reviews and suggestions please

AEB

Hi I’m planning to build a desktop for CAD and gaming. My current budget ($850) can not accommodate all parts and I’m planning to buy a GPU a little later. 

please check out the link and let me know your thoughts. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hj8sNP

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, AEB said:

Hi I’m planning to build a desktop for CAD and gaming. My current budget ($850) can not accommodate all parts and I’m planning to buy a GPU a little later. 

please check out the link and let me know your thoughts. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hj8sNP

Thanks.

I don’t know enough about intel motherboards to comment there. I can talk about the cooler and the PSU though.

Cooler:

They hyper212 sleeve fan needs to run vertical to gravity like a case fan.  If you point it up or down it wil wear very fast.  The cooler is either overkill stock or underpowered for full overclock.  You can probably run a fraction over 100w with it but not a big fraction.  Be careful with the attachment clips.  It’s a famous weak point for hyper212s use your screw driver. They look like snap clips but plastic is brittle. If you break then all kinds of bad shit happens.  It’s really hard to attach the fans with anything else and they’re too high stress to put up with being glued long term if you break them. 

This is how they can sell the hyper212 cheap.  The fan is not especially long lasting.  It’s a decent tower though.  It’s a very old design so the attachment system may not be the easiest to deal with.  It’s an adaptor  from a design that isn’t even used anymore.  Read the instructions. 

PSU:

I don’t know whether it’s a good unit or not.  That’s what the PSU tierlist is for.  It’s a weird size though.  650w is big for an iGPU system and small for a lot of newer GPUs. If you know what you plan on getting for a GPU later, 3070s apparently need a 750 and 3080s need an 850 or more.  1000w if you have both a big gpu and plan on heavily clocking the cpu. The cpu cooler won’t handle a heavy clock though so it might not be an issue.  There is often an argument to buy more PSU than you think you need because the self overclocking behavior of more or less all new CPUs and GPUs can produce big transient voltage spikes and if you get two that hit at the same time it can shut down a PSU which can cause bigger problem. You could get a much smaller PSU and assume you will get an appropriate one when you get a GPU, or you can buy a big girl now AMD size your GPU purchase for the PSU.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know enough about intel motherboards to comment there. I can talk about the cooler and the PSU though.

Cooler:

They hyper212 sleeve fan needs to run vertical to gravity like a case fan.  If you point it up or down it wil wear very fast.  The cooler is either overkill stock or underpowered for full overclock.  You can probably run a fraction over 100w with it but not a big fraction.  Be careful with the attachment clips.  It’s a famous weak point for hyper212s use your screw driver. They look like snap clips but plastic is brittle. If you break then all kinds of bad shit happens.  It’s really hard to attach the fans with anything else and they’re too high stress to put up with being glued long term if you break them. 

This is how they can sell the hyper212 cheap.  The fan is not especially long lasting.  It’s a decent tower though.  It’s a very old design so the attachment system may not be the easiest to deal with.  It’s an adaptor  from a design that isn’t even used anymore.  Read the instructions. 

PSU:

I don’t know whether it’s a good unit or not.  That’s what the PSU tierlist is for.  It’s a weird size though.  650w is big for an iGPU system and small for a lot of newer GPUs. If you know what you plan on getting for a GPU later, 3070s apparently need a 750 and 3080s need an 850 or more.  1000w if you have both a big gpu and plan on heavily clocking the cpu. The cpu cooler won’t handle a heavy clock though so it might not be an issue.  There is often an argument to buy more PSU than you think you need because the self overclocking behavior of more or less all new CPUs and GPUs can produce big transient voltage spikes and if you get two that hit at the same time it can shut down a PSU which can cause bigger problem. You could get a much smaller PSU and assume you will get an appropriate one when you get a GPU, or you can buy a big girl now AMD size your GPU purchase for the PSU.

Thanks for sharing the wattage issue and the cheap cooling fan. I’m just gonna have to spend a little more money but definitely worth the long run. Thanks again

5 hours ago, AEB said:

Thanks for sharing the wattage issue and the cheap cooling fan. I’m just gonna have to spend a little more money but definitely worth the long run. Thanks again

LTT just reviewed a new “budget” noctua cooler that is more or less a hyper212 with a higher quality fan and a noctua mount.  It costs more though.  If you want to OC a 11700 to its limit you’ll want a bigger cooler.  The 212, or medium size coolers in general, isn’t a terrible choice for an 11700 if you don’t want to OC. You’ll get cooling that is effectively heavy for the cpu, or enough in really hot places.  It’s not enough to put a heavy overclock on.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.