First Real PC Build

Budget (including currency): $500-1000 (CAD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primary day-to-day use will be accessing my office PC using VPN. Additional use will be for gaming, games include: War Thunder, Battlefield, Kerbal Space Program, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and DSC World.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I'm planning to start off using an existing GPU until I can find one for a decent. The current one I have is an NVIDIA GT 710 (I believe). I also already have a 320GB HDD with Windows 10 installed. I have the typical peripherals (mouse & keyboard) but need a monitor. Due to the budget I'm thinking I'll start with one monitor and add another along the way. I've drafted a parts list for the build so far on PC Part Picker that I'll share below (prices are in CAD).

Note, my CPU choice was based on a few factors, but most notably was that during my research the Intel CPU/Mobo combo was currently (as of 4/30/2021) the best value for performance compared to the AMD route. I also figured that the Intel i3-10100 has onboard graphics that may hold me over on some of the more basic games until a GPU can be obtained.

Open to any thoughts or opinions!

Consider upgrading to an i5 or even i7 if that fits in your budget. Assuming those have onboard graphics as well. Also, consider a low(er) tier used GPU.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

8 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Consider upgrading to an i5 or even i7 if that fits in your budget. Assuming those have onboard graphics as well. Also, consider a low(er) tier used GPU.

Yes both the i5 and i7 have iGPUs.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

57 minutes ago, RAchilles47 said:

The current one I have is an NVIDIA GT 710 (I believe).

You're better off with integrated graphics than a GT 710. That card is made for people who either need additional ports for many monitors, or people who run chips with no iGPU.

1 hour ago, RAchilles47 said:

I also already have a 320GB HDD with Windows 10 installed.

I'd just do a clean install on the SSD and copy over important data from that HDD. Boot times really are different between the two.

Do you have any preference in monitor resolution? I'm assuming at your budget you'll be okay with 1080p. Do you have any size limitations for the display (e.g. <27")?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

23 minutes ago, CT854 said:

You're better off with integrated graphics than a GT 710. That card is made for people who either need additional ports for many monitors, or people who run chips with no iGPU.

Perfect, this is good to know, I wasn't sure if there were any value in keeping this card. I'll just use the iGPU for a bit, at least until the market (hopefully) cools down a little.

I'd just do a clean install on the SSD and copy over important data from that HDD. Boot times really are different between the two.

Yeah, the plan was to have the SSD run the OS and install the games on the HDD. Not sure if that's actually doable, but I think I heard somewhere from someone that it is, lol. Recently installed an SSD on my laptop and was impressed with the significant difference in boot times.

Do you have any preference in monitor resolution? I'm assuming at your budget you'll be okay with 1080p. Do you have any size limitations for the display (e.g. <27")?

I was looking for at least 1080p, I'm not sure really what hertz is significantly noticeable (especially for a passive gamer). No size limitations but I was thinking of just going with whatever is the best value at the time. Hoping to include at least the first monitor int the initial budget with the secondary monitor being added later outside of the original budget (much like the GPU).

27 minutes ago, RAchilles47 said:

Yeah, the plan was to have the SSD run the OS and install the games on the HDD. Not sure if that's actually doable, but I think I heard somewhere from someone that it is, lol. Recently installed an SSD on my laptop and was impressed with the significant difference in boot times.

Absolutely doable, though 320GB of HDD space is a bit lean. Still, perfectly doable. If I were you, though, I would only hook up the intended boot drive when first installing Windows, to avoid accidentally overwriting the HDD, then hooking up the HDD afterwards to transfer the data.

28 minutes ago, RAchilles47 said:

I was looking for at least 1080p, I'm not sure really what hertz is significantly noticeable (especially for a passive gamer). No size limitations but I was thinking of just going with whatever is the best value at the time. Hoping to include at least the first monitor int the initial budget with the secondary monitor being added later outside of the original budget (much like the GPU).

I was one of the people who didn't realize I had to manually set my monitor frequency to >60Hz out the box... I'm not sure how much of a difference I actually see, but I absolutely felt a difference going from 1080p60 to 1080p144. If it's in your budget, I'd stretch it to 144Hz. But 60Hz is perfectly good too. Not sure how comfortable I am recommending an actual display, but those are my thoughts.

Also, another thing to consider -- what kind of GPU would you want once prices come down? You may need to swap our your PSU depending on what you'd want to get, because 450W is plenty for your current setup, but it may limit your options for GPU upgrade paths. Also, a 3-year manufacturer warranty on a PSU (which is how long the warranty on that PSU is) is on the relative low end, so that's something to consider as well.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

25 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Also, another thing to consider -- what kind of GPU would you want once prices come down? You may need to swap our your PSU depending on what you'd want to get, because 450W is plenty for your current setup, but it may limit your options for GPU upgrade paths. Also, a 3-year manufacturer warranty on a PSU (which is how long the warranty on that PSU is) is on the relative low end, so that's something to consider as well.

I'm currently leaning towards either a GT 1030 or GTX 1660. The 1660 is what I'm currently running on my office PC (for CAD, GIS, and modelling) with no issues. Noticed another computer at work had the GT 1030 and seemed to run similar tasks fine.

2 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

I'm actually really digging the parts on this list. Even the case seems to get better airflow and the PSU seems to have enough buffer to accommodate a GPU's in the future.