Macbook Pro Camera Not Working

theereal

When i attempt to use any app with the built in camera the green light goes on but the screen remains black. I booted into safe mode and attempted the same apps (facetime, photobooth, microsoft teams) but this time the green light does not appear and it tells me the camera is not connected. Its a 2016 model Intel Macbook Pro. Might this be a hardware error? Or are there any other steps i may attempt to resolve the issue?

Edit ive also tried: sudo killall VDCAssistant command in Terminal and no "processes were found".

Check in your system info to see if the system is detecting the camera. There should be an option under Hardware for camera. I might also check your privacy settings, maybe for some reason access to the camera was revoked? If it's persisting even in safe mood, unless a corrupt driver/part of the OS is to blame, that would have sorted most other software things. Otherwise, could definitely be a hardware issue. Especially if the camera is not shown in the system info list.

2 minutes ago, Flannelist said:

Check in your system info to see if the system is detecting the camera. There should be an option under Hardware for camera. I might also check your privacy settings, maybe for some reason access to the camera was revoked? If it's persisting even in safe mood, unless a corrupt driver/part of the OS is to blame, that would have sorted most other software things. Otherwise, could definitely be a hardware issue. Especially if the camera is not shown in the system info list.

The camera is detected, i checked and it gives me the Model ID and Unique ID of the camera. What can i check under privacy? Ive attempted to use online services also such as omegle and the camera is black even if i give the website permission. How can i check if drivers are corrupt?

9 minutes ago, theereal said:

The camera is detected, i checked and it gives me the Model ID and Unique ID of the camera. What can i check under privacy? Ive attempted to use online services also such as omegle and the camera is black even if i give the website permission. How can i check if drivers are corrupt?

In system preferences, under Security and privacy, the privacy tab should be all the way to the right, and you can check which apps have permission to use the camera. I'm not convinced this is the issue if the light is gong green, but still it's still worth a check. As far as corrupt drivers/ OS it's hard to verify because those drivers are part of the OS. I would try to repair your disk (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210898). And if succeeds, and the camera still doesn't work, I would reinstall the OS (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reinstall-macos-mchlp1599/mac). This shouldn't remove any of your data, but I would backup anyways. If that still doesn't work, you can try a clean install, but other than that it's still super possible it's hardware.