Which laptop/processor?

Hi guys!

I'm planning to purchase a new laptop for my workstation. This is what I'm currently using:

Asus N551JK

• Intel Core i7-4710HQ
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 1 TB HDD + 240 GB SSD
  • 3 Monitors (2 mDP + 1 HDMI)

I'm currently eyeing the Acer Predator Helios 300 as a replacement, specifically, the PH315-53-79C4 model.

It's specs are:

• Intel Core i7-10870H
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
  • 8 GB RAM (I plan to upgrade this to 16 GB)
  • 1 TB HDD + 512 GB NVMe SSD
  • ~US$1,800

Is this a good option? Do you guys have other recommendations? Should I choose the i5 version instead?

I plan on using the same three monitor setup with the new laptop, so I need a device that either has a miniDP port or supports DisplayPort over USB-C.

Also, I plan on using this for 6 years or more (just like my current laptop), so longevity/reliability is important to me.

Thanks!

On 4/16/2021 at 7:39 PM, MeatySoup42 said:

What country are you buying from?

UK, USA or something else?

I'm in the Philippines, so yeah, my options are probably gonna be APAC models.

I live in the UK, so I can't give any exact model but I can give you some headers.

The best laptop cpus and gpus on the market right now are RTX 3000s (3060,3070,3080) and Ryzen 5000s series. However, RTX 3000s is hard to get your hands on and so is Ryzen 5000s. Some of the best laptops on the market that sport these CPU and GPU combinations are are therefore hard to find. This includes the 2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Pro (16' amd) which has good port selection and good price to performance. This also includes the 2021 Asus G14 and G15.

The laptop your mentioned is still great however and it being available put's it a set up above the competition. You may want to consider the older RTX 2070 version of that laptop if you don't care about RTX performance. It will be give you very similar performance but by virtue of it being a generation old will be likely be cheaper. 

The i5 will smash your old laptop performance and perform as well in games as the i7 give or take. However, any video-editing, CAD or heavy lifting will massively benefit from the extra cores.