First Time Building from scratch

OrtizS
Go to solution Solved by Entropy.,
1 minute ago, OrtizS said:

Budget (including currency): 2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Purpose of the pc is business and pleasure, I like to game and have gotten into streaming and video editing. I am also a recent computer science graduate, I currently work at a software company and in my spare time I like to work on programming projects to increase my skill.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi, this is the first time I'll be building a PC desktop from scratch, for a few years I've been minorly upgrading 2 laptops, I felt like I needed something more flexible and versatile. I've be researching for few months and I can only confirm that I would want a rtx 3070 GPU and AMD Ryzen 5 5900x. Yes, I know it will be a long while before I have these. I've been in a back and forth debate between these 2 Mobos (asus rog crosshair viii hero (wi-fi) and msi meg x570 unify) though I am more settled on the MSI.

I've started looking at some RAM and I was wondering if there is a big benefit to picking DDR4 4000 over DDR4 3600?

Any other tips or ideas, I'd greatly appreciate. Or just let me know I'm building a dumb brick, haha.

Thanks for the help.

This is a preliminary build, feel free to ask questions and request changes: 

To answer your question, It'll depend on more than just the clock speeds (It'll depend on timings, cas latency, ect.) but generally the answer is no. You'll likely see *some* benefit, but they're going to be very limited in scope. For the motherboards, well, It'll depend on your components. Both Motherboards you mentioned are... Nice, but you likely wouldn't need them. 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Purpose of the pc is business and pleasure, I like to game and have gotten into streaming and video editing. I am also a recent computer science graduate, I currently work at a software company and in my spare time I like to work on programming projects to increase my skill.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi, this is the first time I'll be building a PC desktop from scratch, for a few years I've been minorly upgrading 2 laptops, I felt like I needed something more flexible and versatile. I've be researching for few months and I can only confirm that I would want a rtx 3070 GPU and AMD Ryzen 5 5900x. Yes, I know it will be a long while before I have these. I've been in a back and forth debate between these 2 Mobos (asus rog crosshair viii hero (wi-fi) and msi meg x570 unify) though I am more settled on the MSI.

I've started looking at some RAM and I was wondering if there is a big benefit to picking DDR4 4000 over DDR4 3600?

Any other tips or ideas, I'd greatly appreciate. Or just let me know I'm building a dumb brick, haha.

Thanks for the help.

1 minute ago, OrtizS said:

Thanks for the help.

To answer your question, It'll depend on more than just the clock speeds (It'll depend on timings, cas latency, ect.) but generally the answer is no. You'll likely see *some* benefit, but they're going to be very limited in scope. For the motherboards, well, It'll depend on your components. Both Motherboards you mentioned are... Nice, but you likely wouldn't need them. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

to start, I am no expert (heads up) 

there are some videos on RAM on LTT on YouTube that i found helpful in understanding why to choose one or the other, I also found this breakdown helpful

My take away was that the current price/performance balance best caps at 3600 (CL16) right now and past that any gains are minimal for the Ryzen 5000's 

hope that helps

When it comes to graphics cards, unfortunately there is quite a bit of a shortage, you have 3 options:

1) Buy a prebuilt
2) Buy a graphics card for 2-3x MSRP
3) buy a cheap graphics card gt 710/gt 1030 and wait it out 

I would reccomend the third option if you want to wait, but if you really can’t then you should just buy a prebuilt

Just now, curiousmind34 said:

When it comes to graphics cards, unfortunately there is quite a bit of a shortage, you have 3 options:

1) Buy a prebuilt
2) Buy a graphics card for 2-3x MSRP
3) buy a cheap graphics card gt 710/gt 1030 and wait it out 

I would reccomend the third option if you want to wait, but if you really can’t then you should just buy a prebuilt

Or, like I've mentioned before, Know how to aquire a GPU, know where to go, get the stockdrops discord or have a youtube video open that displays stock and has notifications, and be patient. If you know how to get a GPU (FE on bestbuy, know when to camp) getting a GPU isn't as difficult as It's made out to be in general. That doesn't mean you can just waltz in to a bestbuy and purchase a card, but if you have a little patience it's not hard to get a card.
How to Buy Nvidia RTX 3060 ti, 3070, 3080 Graphics Cards: How I purchased 4 30 series GPUs @ retail - YouTube

24/7 Live In-Stock Alert RTX 3060/3060TI/3070/3080/3090 RX 6700/6800/6900 Ryzen 5900x/5950x - YouTube
 Good stock checking video as well as a tutorial on how to get a card. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

8 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Thank you, I'll keep this build in mind. I'm not purchasing right away as I'm also in the process of moving, but I definitely follow a few stock drops so I am actively on the lookout for the gpu