Backup Software Reccomendations

Hi there. 

I'm looking for backup software for my Windows 10 machine.

Needs:

• Exclusion of folders and files
  • Can backup to NAS (via SMB/NFS or WebDAV

Nice to have:

• Cheap
  • Encryption

There is data across my SSD and HDD I want to back up.

I've already used Duplicati 2, it's very customisable, but doesn't handle file access issues well and doesn't get along with Bitdefender.

I've also tried File History, but it doesn't seem to let me customise what gets backed up. 

I'm looking at using Backup and Restore (Windows 7), It seems to be pretty good (exclusions, network share), but I'm not sure if there's any reason not to.

On that subject, does anybody know if I can combine the ZIP files it creates on another Machine (EG LInux) if needed? It makes zip files with different folders and files in each

Thanks!

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

image.png.6ad9e3922e3ebf5e2e0d2491467ed717.png

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

@wall03Hi, Thanks.

I've looked at file history, but it doesn't seem to give me much control over what I backup, I have a SDD and a HDD I want to backup, even through the Control Panel

I'll update my original post.

I know this might be a very bad answer , but why not try and code this little piece of software yourself? Seems easy enough and if you put in in the autostart with date check it should perform as expected (+ you can modify it to suit your needs better than any premade solution)

1 minute ago, LewisSpring said:

@wall03Hi, Thanks.

I've looked at file history, but it doesn't seem to give me much control over what I backup, I have a SDD and a HDD I want to backup, even through the Control Panel

I'll update my original post.

you can set any file/folder you want to back up within windows back up and where to back it up to. I do this for my in-laws since they run there business off there home PC. I have all there banking files and invoices etc backed up daily to a USB stick 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Ulysses499 said:

I know this might be a very bad answer , but why not try and code this little piece of software yourself? Seems easy enough and if you put in in the autostart with date check it should perform as expected (+ you can modify it to suit your needs better than any premade solution)

That's a good point. I suppose I could use Robocopy or Xcopy. If it gets dire enough that I can't find what I need, I'll definitely consider it.

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you can set any file/folder you want to back up within windows back up and where to back it up to. I do this for my in-laws since they run there business off there home PC. I have all there banking files and invoices etc backed up daily to a USB stick 

I interpreted this here: image.png.a86e090d5cbfd6a782c822523538adb1.png, my mistake.

You have to turn it on to see the options!

One of the only downsides, in that case, is that I can't use a different account to log into the NAS with to enforce quotas, unlike Backup and Restore where I can.

EaseUS Todo Backup.

Been using it for years. And it ticks all of your boxes if "cheap" is also covered by it being free.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

EaseUS Todo Backup.

Been using it for years. And it ticks all of your boxes if "cheap" is also covered by it being free.

I've just set it up. I'll see how it is. Thanks!

If anyone else has any other recommendations, please let me know!