PC will not boot with GPU installed

bam0899

Hi

My PC will not boot with GPU installed.  If I take out the GPU, the computer boots up fine.  I am guessing I have a bad GPU or PSU.

I am looking for any help with figuring out which is bad.

Thanks!

System specs? 

Kinda hard to help you and give advice if we don't know what you got.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

6 hours ago, bam0899 said:

image.png.3af7ea2b5bb62e8b98bfad9ee17a5a10.png

What kind of display port are you using? hdmi, dvi, vga, etc...

Go into BIOS with GPU installed and check to see if the graphic cards is detected.

1) Uninstall GPU.

2) Go into BIOS, and make sure PCI-e is primary in primary display option. Shut down PC.

3) Reinstall GPU.

4) Do not use HDMI, use DVI.

5) Remove 1 of your 8GB ram stick so that you're only running on 1 stick. Make sure it's in the primary slot.

The likely problem is the display port cable that is being used. But to make sure, I need to know if the GPU is detected in BIOS. If it's not detected, then it's an issue with your motherboard PCI slot that needs to addressed. So changed PCI slot and/or updating the PCI slot while using the on-board graphics might do the trick. My assumption is still the display port, as I believe, you're using an uncertified display port. Swapping it for a certified cable or changing it to a DVI cable should do the trick.

Asus z170 with a GTX 970 seems to always have issues. This type of problem also occurred back in 2015 to 2016.

20 hours ago, c00face said:

What kind of display port are you using? hdmi, dvi, vga, etc...

Go into BIOS with GPU installed and check to see if the graphic cards is detected.

1) Uninstall GPU.

2) Go into BIOS, and make sure PCI-e is primary in primary display option. Shut down PC.

3) Reinstall GPU.

4) Do not use HDMI, use DVI.

5) Remove 1 of your 8GB ram stick so that you're only running on 1 stick. Make sure it's in the primary slot.

The likely problem is the display port cable that is being used. But to make sure, I need to know if the GPU is detected in BIOS. If it's not detected, then it's an issue with your motherboard PCI slot that needs to addressed. So changed PCI slot and/or updating the PCI slot while using the on-board graphics might do the trick. My assumption is still the display port, as I believe, you're using an uncertified display port. Swapping it for a certified cable or changing it to a DVI cable should do the trick.

Asus z170 with a GTX 970 seems to always have issues. This type of problem also occurred back in 2015 to 2016.

I am using a display port cable - the one with one corner cut off.  I will see if I have another cable laying around.

I can not install the GPU and boot so there is no way for me to know if BIOS is detecting the GPU.