New PSU - Help select

HadHaw
Go to solution Solved by MrBrightSyde,
1 hour ago, SuperNerd Kid said:

buy one from cooler master or evga or something. buy from a brand YOU RECOGNIZE  and thee will be no danger.

*laughs in Gigabyte P-GM, EVGA N1/N2, and Cooler Master Elite*

Anyways @HadHaw, the TX650M is a great choice for the price. As long as GPUs don't jump in power consumption like they did this with the RTX 3000 series, 650w should be enough for mid-range cards for a while.

If you want a 750w for future-proofing, the BitFenix Formula Gold, Corsair RM, and the Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro are some of the choices you have, along with the 750w TXM

Hey! I was going to replace just my fan but the good folks on this site helped me realize I need a new PSU entirely, in this thread https://linustechtips.com/topic/1307942-corsair-tx750w-fan-replacement/

I've had a look at the PSU list ratings and because I don't really know what to look for I thought it's best to just stick with Corsair. I think this Corsair TX650M should be fine but I am curious if you think I should go for 750 instead to be safe for an upgrade in the future? I tend to purchase mid / Mid-high toer components for best bang-for-buck as opposed to the latest components. An upgrade in a few years is likely to follow the same logic and not be the very latest at that time. 

My pc is mostly used for gaming:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • B450 Tomahawk
  • DDR4 8x2
  • Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti
  • 160 gb Sata sandisk ssd
  • 1tb nvmE ssd
  • 4 Fans

12 minutes ago, HadHaw said:

Hey! I was going to replace just my fan but the good folks on this site helped me realize I need a new PSU entirely, in this thread https://linustechtips.com/topic/1307942-corsair-tx750w-fan-replacement/

I've had a look at the PSU list ratings and because I don't really know what to look for I thought it's best to just stick with Corsair. I think this Corsair TX650M should be fine but I am curious if you think I should go for 750 instead to be safe for an upgrade in the future? I tend to purchase mid / Mid-high toer components for best bang-for-buck as opposed to the latest components. An upgrade in a few years is likely to follow the same logic and not be the very latest at that time. 

My pc is mostly used for gaming:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • B450 Tomahawk
  • DDR4 8x2
  • Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti
  • 160 gb Sata sandisk ssd
  • 1tb nvmE ssd
  • 4 Fans

A 500watt one from a reputable brand should do you nicely, computers have only gotten more effiicent overtime. a 500w will give you the capacity you need now and room to expand if you put in a more power hungry cpu or graphics cards or load your system with a million hard drives and you'll be fine. However, DO NOT buy a power supply from some no name brand as they will explode, ruin your hardware and potentially kill you. buy one from cooler master or evga or something. buy from a brand YOU RECOGNIZE  and thee will be no danger.

1 hour ago, SuperNerd Kid said:

buy one from cooler master or evga or something. buy from a brand YOU RECOGNIZE  and thee will be no danger.

*laughs in Gigabyte P-GM, EVGA N1/N2, and Cooler Master Elite*

Anyways @HadHaw, the TX650M is a great choice for the price. As long as GPUs don't jump in power consumption like they did this with the RTX 3000 series, 650w should be enough for mid-range cards for a while.

If you want a 750w for future-proofing, the BitFenix Formula Gold, Corsair RM, and the Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro are some of the choices you have, along with the 750w TXM

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

3 hours ago, SuperNerd Kid said:

A 500watt one from a reputable brand should do you nicely, computers have only gotten more effiicent overtime. a 500w will give you the capacity you need now and room to expand if you put in a more power hungry cpu or graphics cards or load your system with a million hard drives and you'll be fine. However, DO NOT buy a power supply from some no name brand as they will explode, ruin your hardware and potentially kill you. buy one from cooler master or evga or something. buy from a brand YOU RECOGNIZE  and thee will be no danger.

So, like, you didn't read his post where he was considering a Corsair TX650M?  Or you think he should get any Cooler Master or EVGA instead?

I went with the the tx650m in the end. In 10 years maybe I'll ask for another recommendation 🙂

Thanks for the help!