Ubuntu Server Build

Hi everyone,

I'm planning building myself a home server using this  as a guideline.

It will be running:

• The OS (ubuntu 12.04 64bit) with firewall, a lamp server for admin (webadmin, phpvirtualbox...), virtualbox and few other essential things (only LAN acces)
  • The Web VM with lamp, ftp, owncloud and other web services (a do not have many visitors, i think <50)
  • The Media VM (not accessible from the outside) with media server, torrent client, maybe a print server...
  • The Backup VM to handle securely my backups

So, my question is about the hw... not too expensive, not too creepy and not too power greedy

This is what I putted together until now but maybe there are better solutions... I hope in some advice :)

(prices in €, components will be bought in Italy)

AMD FM1                         40AMD A6	                        508GB	                        403x WD Caviar RED  2TB       	225SSD 60 GB	                50PSU 400w 80 Plus Gold   	40Fractal Design ARC MINI	        60

I haven't choosed the specific components models yet, but the prices are referred to high quality brands (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Corsair... the ones which Linus suggests :P)

Thank you in advance!

Can anyone suggest a better config? :(

Good luck with the build. I've been thinking about building something similar specs for a while. If you get it working, please post an update.

If you plan on virtualization the more the ram the better, I personally would go Intel, that's just me though,

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I also prefer Intel in most cases, but in i3 would cost me way too much...

Anyway, is the A6 well supported by Ubuntu server and Virtualbox?

Does the integrated gpu helps if i need to encode a media stream on the fly?