Advice on connecting multiple wired devices to wifi (AP client mode)

weronoop

Hello all,

I'm looking for advice after having spent hours trying to find a solution to my issue.

I'm looking for a device (range extender or AP) that will allow me to connect multiple devices through its integrated ethernet port.

From what I've understood, some APs have "client mode" which allows them to work basically as wifi-adapters, some range extenders have this same function, but I've not seen any allow to connect multiple devices through a switch for instance.

I've also seen some older asus products with something asus and dlink called MediaBridge, which would serve this function, but these devices do not support higher speeds than 300mbps from what I've seen. These products seem to be limited to the NA market only and I'm in the EU.

I'm trying to omit running a cable from the router to where I need this and using a powerline doesn't work, we've tried.

Thanks in advance!

AP client mode is what you want. What that does is basically bridge the ethernet point on the AP to the wireless. It will allow you to put a switch behind the AP. If you are planning to do this with more then a few clients, I would suggest making sure you select an appropriate device (both for your main AP and for your 'Client')

Also you should change the subject of this thread to be something more descriptive.

Thank you @NZLaurence.

You mention the main AP and the "client". In the diagrams I've seen on AP client mode from different brands, they always show two of same type of AP to create a bridge. One connected to the router and one for the client.

Can't I just connect the AP "client" directly to the router? I've got an Amplifi HD as my main router/wifi.

All of the AP "Client" mode devices I have dealt with will allow you to connect them to any wireless network and bridge it to the LAN port on the AP. I mainly deal with enterprise gear and its been a long time since I last used a home device however I would expect this to be a very standard function of any device claiming to have AP "Client" functionality.