Newly build pc keeps restarting

EraseNL

Hello everyone.

I just received my new pc today, put it together installed Windows, but the pc keeps restarting.. Even when it's booting..

Sometimes it works for an hour or more but when I think the problem is solved, the problem keeps coming back..

I made no changes in the BIOS.

I tried reinstalling Windows, unplugged some fans, reconnected the cables from my psu, tried it with 1 ram stick and then only the other one..

What can be the problem?

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500X 

MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi

RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws-V 2x8GB 3600Mhz - F4-3600C18D

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

SSD: Intel 60GB 2.5" SSD

M.2: Intel 665P 1TB M.2

PSU: Corsair CX650F RGB

CASE: MSI MAG FORGE 100R

Hopefully someone here can help me with this, because I really don't know what the problem could be..

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @EraseNL,

I've been having the same issue as you. 

I've scoured the interwebs looking for answers and troubleshooting methods. I have found some useful tips. Hopefully they help you too.

Start with updates. Update the BIOS to the latest version (non beta), make sure you have the newest chipset drivers, and make sure your GPU drivers are current.

You want to stress test individual parts of your system. 

- Start with unplugging anything from your machine that isn't critical to its operation. No speakers, no USB accessories (aside from keyboard and mouse), and maybe even remove the GPU if you have onboard graphics.

Then, clear your CMOS on the mobo.

- Unplug the PSU from the wall and turn the power switch to "off"

- Wait a minute for residual power to dissipate 

- Then use a screwdriver to bridge the gap on the CLRTC pins of your motherboard. If the mobo doesn't have them, remove the watch battery that is installed on the mobo and wait 5 minutes.

This should have cleared your CMOS successfully so you can put the battery back and plug in the PSU.

When the BIOS comes up, load optimized defaults, save and exit. 

Let the computer boot, it should boot normally.

Now to test

There a bunch of options when it comes to stress testing certain parts of your system. Prime95 is good for CPU. Memtest86 for RAM, FurMark for GPU, HWMonitor for watching temps and voltages. 

The longer the test, the more confident you can say the part isn't faulty. (Memtest86 is usually ran for 8 hours so best to plan it as an overnight test)

Try those and see if any errors poke their head out at you we can go from there.

My system:

- AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT (i paid $330)

- Asus TUF B550M Gaming Mobo

- G.Skill Ripjaws V-series 16gb (2x8) F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

- Intel 665p 1tb M.2 NvME

- Seagate Compute 8tb HDD

- MSI Ventus RTX 2070 Super (w/ Arctic Extreme III VGA cooler @ 1950Mhz)

- Seasonic Focus+ 850 watt 80+ Gold

- Noctua NH-D15

- Thermaltake Core V21 Case

Most of these parts are new, excluding the GPU and PSU. The GPU is less than 1 year old and the PSu was purchased in early 2018. (It has a 10-year warranty)

I am also getting random restarts, they can happen at any time. Sitting idle, under heavy load, sitting at the desktop, while booting, sitting in the BIOS, ANYTIME.

IT'S FRUSTRATING.

I RMA'ed my mobo twice thinking that was the issue.

It didn't fix it.

My PSU is good. I have an APC UPS and I new draw more than 600 watts on my system.

My CPU is good even when I push it to 81c for extended periods.

I ran a simple memtest for 4 hours with no errors but once the machine went idle it turned off. 

I tried setting my memory timings based off the Ryzen DRAM calculator "safe values", still restarted

I have order a new RAM kit (G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14D-16GTZR)

It comes Friday this week and I'll update if there is any tangible difference.

I've bought a new set of RAM, the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz and it only restarted once after I've installed that. I also had my pc running for over a week because of Loot drops for Escape from Tarkov and it never shut down in that week. I also set my XMP profile on XMP Profile 2, perhaps that did the job, since the restarts did happen when it was on Profile 1, but I kind of doubt that since Profile 2 is a more extreme profile, atleast that's what's the internet says lol.