Help with GTAV running terrible on PC

hadshaw21

Specs: 
1060-6gb
2600x
16gb ram running at 3000mhz
Have both SSD and HDD

My game was running perfectly fine up until maybe 2 days ago. I tried the usual restarting game/PC etc. But it was still getting terrible performance (less than 1fps). Sometimes after restarting the PC it would briefly run like usual 60-80 fps (medium-high settings). 

I then tried moving it from my SSD to my HDD, scan for install and also verify the files. I tried verifying the files on both drives (never had issues with either drive before) multiple times and trying windows drive repair. Nothing helped so I gave in and decide to uninstall and reinstall and straight away same issue.

Haven't had this issue on any other game and when I alt tab out of GTA PC Is running fine as well as the fact that GTA was running fine just a few days ago.

Seems to me like something is wrong with GTA but I'm not sure what.

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated because I've just started getting back into the game.

Update: I reinstalled the game and it was working fine for a but but then it went back to the problem

2nd Update: I've also discovered that when I alt tab into the game it will run smoothly for a short period of time and then go buggy again. If I alt tab out and in again it will keep going stable then unstable after a short period of time. Every now and then when I alt tab back in it will remain stable but not very often.

So I think it must be a rockstar thing. Back awhile ago I used to see a minimum of 74fps on high settings in gta online, now I can't get over 60 fps in the city. I have a 1080 and 4790k and the i7 only sees 60% usage and maybe the gpu gets taxed at 5-10%. It runs like garbage now and with the new update runs even worse.

19 hours ago, hadshaw21 said:

Specs: 
1060-6gb
2600x
16gb ram running at 3000mhz
Have both SSD and HDD

My game was running perfectly fine up until maybe 2 days ago. I tried the usual restarting game/PC etc. But it was still getting terrible performance (less than 1fps). Sometimes after restarting the PC it would briefly run like usual 60-80 fps (medium-high settings). 

I then tried moving it from my SSD to my HDD, scan for install and also verify the files. I tried verifying the files on both drives (never had issues with either drive before) multiple times and trying windows drive repair. Nothing helped so I gave in and decide to uninstall and reinstall and straight away same issue.

Haven't had this issue on any other game and when I alt tab out of GTA PC Is running fine as well as the fact that GTA was running fine just a few days ago.

Seems to me like something is wrong with GTA but I'm not sure what.

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated because I've just started getting back into the game.

Update: I reinstalled the game and it was working fine for a but but then it went back to the problem

2nd Update: I've also discovered that when I alt tab into the game it will run smoothly for a short period of time and then go buggy again. If I alt tab out and in again it will keep going stable then unstable after a short period of time. Every now and then when I alt tab back in it will remain stable but not very often.

Try running the game in windowed mode, so you can use other windows without the game pausing and send us a screenshot of CPU usage from task manager. Also in task manager sort all processes by CPU usage and see if any process other than GTA V is using the CPU heavily.

8 hours ago, Wierzbak said:

Try running the game in windowed mode, so you can use other windows without the game pausing and send us a screenshot of CPU usage from task manager. Also in task manager sort all processes by CPU usage and see if any process other than GTA V is using the CPU heavily.

The first phot is of windowed mode. Nothing too out of the ordinary for me. The second photo is fullscreen mode imediately after Alt + Tabbing out of the game.

What i did find strange is that when I initially changed to windowed mode the game started running fine until i started alt + tabbing to open task manager etc. I tried changing back to fullscreen and then back to windowed but it was too late, it was back to running terribley again.

I would say that it definately has something to do with alt+tabbing out/in the game, but there is one flaw to that theory. As sometimes the game will run terrible immediately without me even alt+tabbing (even while launching the game/loading GTA online, etc).

I was playing fortnite for the first time in a while today because i couldnt play GTA and i noticed that sometimes my ping would spike to 300-500 with packet loss and would also cause the same 1-5 fps problem as GTA. This made me wonder whether or not it was my internet (my internet has always been fine never had an issue [roughly 40-60 down, 30-40 up and stable/low ping]) so i tired multiple speed tests/other games (csgo, etc,) and ping seemed to be fine. What ive concluded from this is that either, suddenly my internet has gone to crap (i dont think this is the case as it is fine for everyhting else/other devices aswell) which is causing the FPS lag or its the other way around (FPS impacting on ping/internet). Does this mean the same problem is happening in GTA where the ping is spiking, packet loss etc, i tried to check internet stats in GTA but there doesnt seem to be any.

Overall i have no idea what is going on here. I usually think i am pretty good with technology (fix almost all my problems and help other people out with theirs) but this problem has got me stumped. Ive tried alll the usual troubleshooting steps and intense google research but i cant figure it out. The only thing left to do in my mind is to factory reset entire PC, which only did 6-8 months ago anyway. Obviously if this can be avoided thats great but if no one can think of anything else i guess ill have to.

Once again, Thank you for your help.

image.thumb.png.a3842c1fe0d6d07c382f39f309bee24a.png

image.thumb.png.708037a7ed387c0fbaf1e3b3730acfda.png

9 hours ago, hadshaw21 said:

The first phot is of windowed mode. Nothing too out of the ordinary for me. The second photo is fullscreen mode imediately after Alt + Tabbing out of the game.

What i did find strange is that when I initially changed to windowed mode the game started running fine until i started alt + tabbing to open task manager etc. I tried changing back to fullscreen and then back to windowed but it was too late, it was back to running terribley again.

I would say that it definately has something to do with alt+tabbing out/in the game, but there is one flaw to that theory. As sometimes the game will run terrible immediately without me even alt+tabbing (even while launching the game/loading GTA online, etc).

I was playing fortnite for the first time in a while today because i couldnt play GTA and i noticed that sometimes my ping would spike to 300-500 with packet loss and would also cause the same 1-5 fps problem as GTA. This made me wonder whether or not it was my internet (my internet has always been fine never had an issue [roughly 40-60 down, 30-40 up and stable/low ping]) so i tired multiple speed tests/other games (csgo, etc,) and ping seemed to be fine. What ive concluded from this is that either, suddenly my internet has gone to crap (i dont think this is the case as it is fine for everyhting else/other devices aswell) which is causing the FPS lag or its the other way around (FPS impacting on ping/internet). Does this mean the same problem is happening in GTA where the ping is spiking, packet loss etc, i tried to check internet stats in GTA but there doesnt seem to be any.

Overall i have no idea what is going on here. I usually think i am pretty good with technology (fix almost all my problems and help other people out with theirs) but this problem has got me stumped. Ive tried alll the usual troubleshooting steps and intense google research but i cant figure it out. The only thing left to do in my mind is to factory reset entire PC, which only did 6-8 months ago anyway. Obviously if this can be avoided thats great but if no one can think of anything else i guess ill have to.

Once again, Thank you for your help.

Can you also make a screenshot from the performance tab in task manager? I want to see the CPU usage graph. Be sure to right click on it first and select "show logic cores" or something like that (I don't have Windows in english to check).

Also I don't know how do GTA Online servers work, but I know few games in which low FPS might be server's fault, or user connection's to the server, so I would definitely try singleplayer first, and even if it still runs like garbage I would stick to doing testing in singleplayer while troubleshooting further.

You should try running the game at 800x600 resolution (without changing graphics settings) and measure your FPS, this will help us even more in determining if it is a CPU related problem.

I dont think it would be a cpu problem as i run everything else without a hitch and even GTA before this bug.

I wouldve agreed that it is an internet thing but then when i put the game in windowed mode it runs fine until i alt tab.

I think that theres something wierder at play here its very confusing.

image.thumb.png.0d4ad3d463d1248dd7c559430c7b4a7b.png

11 hours ago, hadshaw21 said:

I dont think it would be a cpu problem as i run everything else without a hitch and even GTA before this bug.

I wouldve agreed that it is an internet thing but then when i put the game in windowed mode it runs fine until i alt tab.

I think that theres something wierder at play here its very confusing.

As I wrote before, try running the game in single player, if it runs fine then it's some kind of a weird network problem. If it will still be laggy, try lowering the resolution to 800x600 (don't touch the graphics settings) and see if it's better. If it's not, then it's most likely a CPU/Windows issue. Might have something to do with power plans for example, but we'll see.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:58 AM, Wierzbak said:

As I wrote before, try running the game in single player, if it runs fine then it's some kind of a weird network problem. If it will still be laggy, try lowering the resolution to 800x600 (don't touch the graphics settings) and see if it's better. If it's not, then it's most likely a CPU/Windows issue. Might have something to do with power plans for example, but we'll see.

I have tried single player. Exact same issue occurs. I am currently on holidays but I will try changing the resolution when I get back. 

Once again, thanks for the help