cpu causing black/ white screen.

Liranmul

hi everybody. bought a used i5 520m for my lenovo g570 laptop (corrently have a b940 cpu) i have tried everything i can to make it work and at this point i believe its quite dead. i get a black screen, sometimes a white screen right on startup. no post. no hdd drive light but fan spinning for a seconed or more. no beeps. i tried with 1 ram stick in all positions but no luck. upgraded the bios to the latest. dissembled the computer whole to clear cmos just to find the battery is welded to the board. no graphic card, ( i use the intel graphics gpu). did the bios reset with no battery and holding the power button for 30 sec. the cpu have no physical evidence of damage but i really have no idea what to try more now. yes it is compatable to my hm65 chipset. and yes everything works fine with the normal cpu. will be glad for any help! also if there a chance its dead is there anyway to revive it. thanks!

Looking at the specs of your machine, it looks like it comes with a Sandy Bridge CPU from around 2011, and the CPU you're trying to install is an Arrandale based one from 2010. Looking around online, I couldn't find anybody who had installed a 520M into your laptop. It would seem that you need to install a Sandy Bridge CPU, or maybe even an Ivy Bridge CPU. These are CPU's that start with 2XXX or 3XXX.

And CPU's rarely die, but unless they get a bunch of voltage pumped into them and the chip gets smoked, they usually don't show any physical signs of damage. So the first thing I'd try is getting a second or third-gen CPU to test with.

Main rig -

6700K @ 4.8Ghz, lapped, delidded and running Conductonaut under a Raijintek Tisis.

MSI Z270 Pro SLI

MSI GTX 960 OC (yes bottleneck shut up)

16GB DDR4 Patriot Viper

512GB SK Hynix PCIe SSD, 1TB WD Blue, 2TB WD Enterprise

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC

FSP Aurum 600 Watt Gold

CM HAF 912, front grille painted blue

File server -

Xeon E3-1220L V2

Intel S1200BTL

16GB DDR3 ECC

14TB WD White label, 1TB Crucial MX500 SATA, 480GB ADATA SU630 SATA, 1TB WD Blue (awaiting another 14TB for parity)

UnRAID version 6.6.6

EVGA 600 watt whatever

CM HAF 912, front grille painted red

5 hours ago, border collie21 said:

Looking at the specs of your machine, it looks like it comes with a Sandy Bridge CPU from around 2011, and the CPU you're trying to install is an Arrandale based one from 2010. Looking around online, I couldn't find anybody who had installed a 520M into your laptop. It would seem that you need to install a Sandy Bridge CPU, or maybe even an Ivy Bridge CPU. These are CPU's that start with 2XXX or 3XXX.

And CPU's rarely die, but unless they get a bunch of voltage pumped into them and the chip gets smoked, they usually don't show any physical signs of damage. So the first thing I'd try is getting a second or third-gen CPU to test with.

Its i5 2520m. Didnt think it can be confused with other cpu. And i checked before if it works with my chipset. Really have no way to know if its dead and cause i have no other system to check on. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Liranmul said:

Its i5 2520m. Didnt think it can be confused with other cpu. And i checked before if it works with my chipset. Really have no way to know if its dead and cause i have no other system to check on. Thanks

Okay youre right sir. I turned to be dumb didnt notice the diffrence between i5 520m to 2520m. Probably at that setup my ram is too fast for it. Thanks again