Help with Targeting system

Dentash
Go to solution Solved by artuc,

Is it actually faulty right now, as in is there symptoms of failure or just the damaged component ?

Looks like it may have blown apart enough to seperate, is it failed open or short ?

image.png.b7d22c17508c151fb8e27146f7c4600f.png

Check the size, ideally measure one to get the capacitance but as I said if for just general purpose decoupling it shouldn't be too critical. X5R or X7R temp coefficient should be fine.

0603 ?

So say pulling out of my rear end:

0603 1uF 16V X7R SMD Ceramic Cap

Note: This is just a stab in the dark, I suggest doing as much investigation of the circuit and topology, schematics if available and existing components.

You will likely have to order them in from digikey, mouser, RS, element14 or a local electronics store. Possibly order other gear as the shipping fee on a few SMD parts will suck.

Also how'd it short ?

I have a Cybergun Portable Electronic Target Training System controller board for air soft that needs a repair or to be replaced but am having little luck sorting the part or just the board and I wold not like spend 1000.00 for a new system any help would be awsome.  

20201124_152222.jpg

20201124_153057.jpg

20201124_153254.jpg

There are identical components on the board, if it is a fault isolated to just that part and not the symptom of a bigger fault.

Looks like a decoupling cap between +5v rail and 0v ?

Could be as simple as desoldering one of the intact ones, check the capacitance and source an equivalent.

I've only had a cursory look, but could also probably make a judgement call with a best guess rule of thumb selection if just a generic decoupling cap.

What is the actual fault ?

Anything cause it, a short, overvoltage, reverse polarity etc. ?

The guys shorted out the board on the back side it has a burn from shorting out I am having issues finding caps for it as none are marked and the o es I have are to large

Is it actually faulty right now, as in is there symptoms of failure or just the damaged component ?

Looks like it may have blown apart enough to seperate, is it failed open or short ?

image.png.b7d22c17508c151fb8e27146f7c4600f.png

Check the size, ideally measure one to get the capacitance but as I said if for just general purpose decoupling it shouldn't be too critical. X5R or X7R temp coefficient should be fine.

0603 ?

So say pulling out of my rear end:

0603 1uF 16V X7R SMD Ceramic Cap

Note: This is just a stab in the dark, I suggest doing as much investigation of the circuit and topology, schematics if available and existing components.

You will likely have to order them in from digikey, mouser, RS, element14 or a local electronics store. Possibly order other gear as the shipping fee on a few SMD parts will suck.

Also how'd it short ?

Sorry for not getting to my messages any sooner  I found the little cap the maker of the board has a falty board with good caps.

Thank you for the help with this it has been a pain