need some hdd/os know how

six_paths_of_pain
Go to solution Solved by Hecknologist,

You could pick up a sata to IDE adaptor and connect the drive that way. They're pretty cheap and I'm assuming the mobo has sata ports since you have your optical drive using it. This would probably be the easiest way to plug in both drives at the same time if you don't have 2 IDE connections on the mobo.

Greetings everyone.

To make a long story short i need to recover some pictures from friends hdd. Her pc is an old one, probably pentium 4 class. She told me that they can´t plug the monitor in, so i assume either the output vga is broken or the whatever onboard graphics has died. The easiest solution would be for me in theory is just to take her hard (swap with mine ) drive and boot the system from it on my pc. But i´ve allready tryed it once and it didn´t work, didn´t touch anything just pluged it in. The second solution would be to hook up the hdd and boot ubuntu live and see if it will recognize the hdd and try to get the pictures that way.

Before i do anything i´d like to ask you guys for some guidance on the matter. Just for info i have an As rock g31 ms r2.0 motherboard.

Also i didn´t try the swap on this motherboard but on the one i had earlier, same socket, also As rock don´t remeber the exact model.

You could plug in the HDD in a different SATA port, boot up from your primary and extract the files?

I could do that but my hdd doesn´t have a sata port. it has some wide cable connecting it to the motherboard, power input and some spiked conector :huh: . My dvd is hooked via sata so i would see if that port is available on hdd but it´s not. It´s seven years old if it counts.

Im confused, who has the older connection, your PC or her hard drive?

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Both of our pcs are old, i´m assuming my is a bit younger :ph34r: . My hdd has no sata so its safe to say that hers also hasn´t got one. So my only options are to replace my hdd with hers and try to boot from it or to try with ubuntu live. Or if u can think of something else  :D .

Since the onboard graphics are dead or whatever, the easiest choice would be to install a cheap GPU and transfer it via USB.Swapping HDD's may not work due older Windows assuming you have Windows 7 or XP are tied to the motherboards.

Well that sucks. Tbh i´m not really sure what the fail is and buying a new graphics is not an option for the moment. There is just one picture i´d like to get from that hdd and is my picture from the prom. I guess it´ll have to wait for a while. :(

Actually i might get a graphics card from my friend, but do those old vga cards have their own vga output? Noob question i know :ph34r: .

I could do that but my hdd doesn´t have a sata port. it has some wide cable connecting it to the motherboard, power input and some spiked conector :huh: . My dvd is hooked via sata so i would see if that port is available on hdd but it´s not. It´s seven years old if it counts.

yes is see, i think it is the old PATA hdd connecter

You could pick up a sata to IDE adaptor and connect the drive that way. They're pretty cheap and I'm assuming the mobo has sata ports since you have your optical drive using it. This would probably be the easiest way to plug in both drives at the same time if you don't have 2 IDE connections on the mobo.

That is actually an excellent idea. I will try that and if not then the only thing i can do is pick up the her whole case and borrow a gpu to try that way.

yeah i see your point, it is cheap and ill consider either that or ide to sata from ebay if i dont find it here in my home town