PSU sleeving

ThaGamer

I might do some sleeving in my psu cables using some paracord, I just wanted to know what other tools I need and where I can buy them.

Well I see everyone recomends MDPC sleeving, well the tool are kind of expensive, I think I can get them cheaper in a computer store next to me, but how much do the sleeves cost? I mean from MDPC it has to get shipped from Germany and thats why I was going with paracord, it take a little bit longer and it's a little bit harder but it is much cheaper an I can get it everywhere.

But since I am new to all this I'm going with other's advise.

Well I see everyone recomends MDPC sleeving, well the tool are kind of expensive, I think I can get them cheaper in a computer store next to me, but how much do the sleeves cost? I mean from MDPC it has to get shipped from Germany and thats why I was going with paracord, it take a little bit longer and it's a little bit harder but it is much cheaper an I can get it everywhere.

The shipping isn't to bad from MDPC-X depending on where you live. I'm form the UK and it costs like 8 Euros which is about 6 quid I think, it really isn't that bad when you think about it. I guess it would cost more depending on where you live though. Just bulk buy it works out cheaper in the long run.
Current Rig:

Case: CM Storm Mid Tower | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V CPU: Intel i7 (1155) 2600k @ 3.4GHz | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU:  XFX HD Radeon XXX DD 6870 | Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX  | Power Suply: OCZ 1000W  |  Boot Drive: 2 x WD Raptors 300GB in Raid 0 | Storage: Samsung SpinPoint T3 1TB | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit 

Project Zero (In Progress)

Case: Silverstone TJ07 I Motherboard: MSI z87-G45 Gaming | CPU: Intel i5-4570k | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU: 2X MSI R9 290X 4GB (x-fire) Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W | Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | Cooling: Custom loop (cpu+gpu's)

#killedmywife

Hi ThaGamer,

Sleeving is a very labour and time intensive task but the results are fully worth the effort. I use to use MDPC Sleeve and heat shrink, it is the best available nylon sleeve. I then saw you could use paracord instead. People on YouTube and some forums claim that it is harder to work with, but in my experience that is not the case. Paracord is much cheaper that nylon sleeving (you can pick up 100 feet on eBay for £6.80). Paracords low price makes it perfect for practising with as it doesn't really matter if you cock it up. It is also very easy to use paracord without having to use heat shrink, this makes the cables look much smarter.

The only tools you will need to sleeve are some masking tape, razor blade, a lighter, pen, ruler, long nose pliers and some patience. I suggest you watch some how to YouTube videos, Check these ones out:

http://youtu.be/Fz7J_0fS2KU

http://youtu.be/tFUDqEvhmho

http://youtu.be/x5_58o0WaTM

Check out this YouTube Channel too its very handy indeed. If you need any more help on the matter send me a PM. I'm a sleeving addict! and am always happy to help a fellow sleever :D.

The shipping is not expensive at all from MDPC even to Canada. You most definitely will not be able to purchase the necessary tools from a PC shop. You MIGHT be able to find a depin tool but that's it. You surely won't be able to find the crimper or heatgun at a PC store.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

Hi ThaGamer,

Sleeving is a very labour and time intensive task but the results are fully worth the effort. I use to use MDPC Sleeve and heat shrink, it is the best available nylon sleeve. I then saw you could use paracord instead. People on YouTube and some forums claim that it is harder to work with, but in my experience that is not the case. Paracord is much cheaper that nylon sleeving (you can pick up 100 feet on eBay for £6.80). Paracords low price makes it perfect for practising with as it doesn't really matter if you cock it up. It is also very easy to use paracord without having to use heat shrink, this makes the cables look much smarter.

The only tools you will need to sleeve are some masking tape, razor blade, a lighter, pen, ruler, long nose pliers and some patience. I suggest you watch some how to YouTube videos, Check these ones out:

http://youtu.be/Fz7J_0fS2KU

http://youtu.be/tFUDqEvhmho

http://youtu.be/x5_58o0WaTM

Check out this YouTube Channel too its very handy indeed. If you need any more help on the matter send me a PM. I'm a sleeving addict! and am always happy to help a fellow sleever :D.

Well good to hear you are available to answer my questions, well if you say paracord is actually easier than I think my choice is made :D

I know I can't get things like a heat gun but I saw some do it with a lighter, do you think it is really necessary to buy a Hgun? I'm not going to mod a ton of PSU just 1 xD

Well one thing I forgot about all this cuz I got to exited, I need to get a modular PSU, I cant find a video of someone sleeving a normal non-modular PSU, damn :)

I use a lighter all the time for mine, so you should be fine. Just be mindful not to melt the wires underneath or the sleeving.

Well one thing I forgot about all this cuz I got to exited, I need to get a modular PSU, I cant find a video of someone sleeving a normal non-modular PSU, damn :)
If you have a PSU where all the cables come out of one area like this:

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Thermaltake-Outs-750W-and-850W-Smart-Series-PSUs-2.png

I wouldn't sleeve it. If you want to individually sleeve that type you will at least double the width of the bundle and if you want to sleeve to the base, you will need to take apart the PSU voiding your warranty. Another drawback to that is most likely having to cut a larger opening for the sleeved cables now.