Combo Pump Unit & Standalone Res?

Hi All,

Perhaps a silly question, but I'm gathering parts for a custom loop (current thoughts in my build thread). I've decided to make use of the flat space to the right of my mobo in my TT C35 case, which measures up for a 240mm flat res perfectly. I'm currently running with the idea of a standlone pump that's visible (with bit of RGB on the go too), but the EKWB pump is £130, whereas I could get the EKWB smallest classic line RGB pump/res combo for like £85? Anyone see any issues with having a "double res" setup like this?

Location wise the bottom of the flat res will be above the top of the inlet on the pump/res combo but the 2x res will "overlap" if that makes sense. I guess the lower res should just fill up under the head of fluid from the flat res and my air pocket will sit at the top of the flat res (where the filling port is)?   

Won’t be an issue. It’s just like adding another part to the loop. May be more susceptible to fall out depending on the coolant and flow. 
essentially the flat res will just become the primary. If I read that correctly the pump res will be full all the time. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Won’t be an issue. It’s just like adding another part to the loop. May be more susceptible to fall out depending on the coolant and flow. 
essentially the flat res will just become the primary. If I read that correctly the pump res will be full all the time. 

Cool, thanks for the reply!

Definitely don't get the cheap SPC pumpRes combo. I have it, works fine for one component but if you want to add more it'll struggle and you will have to buy a new pump. Standalone pump won't be a problem, back in the day that was pretty much the only option, it's just best practice to add the pump below the reservoir so that it won't run dry. In my opinion pump/res combos look better, but that's just personal preference.