WiFi card

Prokart2000

Hi everyone 

So i have a Lenovo e595 and it has issues where it sometimes disconnects from the WiFi or the connection becomes unstable. From further research apparently the oem WiFi card is the culprit.

I was just wondering is it as simple as swapping the cards out and doing drivers to change it?

I was looking for a suitable card and came across the intel 9260, would this work?

Many thanks 

Kieran

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

Well, in my Lenovo laptop it was that simple (I've installed the AX200 because there isn't one of those stupid CNVi versions of it as I use an AMD laptop like you, and they sometimes aren't even clearly labeled on whether it is the full card or just the CNVi model). Take the old one out, install the new one (9260 or AX200 preferrably due to them not having CNVi-versions) and install the drivers for it, which I've downloaded off the Intel webpage earlier.

What WiFi card does your laptop come with by default?

Ah I see so CNVi Versions won’t work with AMD?

By default it’s a Realtek 8822BE according to Device Manager

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

15 minutes ago, Benji said:

Realtek? Yeah, that causes issues like a supposedly erroneous network configuration or the host not being reachable or whatever, had that same crap in my laptop (8821CE).

Yes, CNVi versions won't work and I haven't actually found a way to determine whether it is a CNVi companion module or a normal version. The normal version has the controller chip and antenna framework on the card, the CNVi version has the baseband (with the controller and infos like the MAC address) in the Intel chipset and the companion module (CNVi module) contains just the antenna hardware, making it useless on anything below Intel Kaby Lake chips or with AMD chips as they don't have the baseband integrated into the chipset.

There are CNVi versions of:

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201

Intel Wireless-AC 9560

Intel Wireless-AC 9462

Intel Wireless-AC 9461

And I haven't seen ways to discern them because Lenovo lists the Wireless-AC 9461 as compatible for my AMD laptop and as an alternative Factory-Replaceable Unit, which means that it has CNVi and actually non-CNVi models.

Of the 9560 and 9461 I know that there actually CNVi and non-CNVi versions, so I would avoid all the four listed cards so that you don't fall in that trap. In your case I'd recommend the 9260 or the AX200 like I have installed.

Yeah I’ve read that the Realtek ones have loads of issues.

Thank you for the help

I have found one on amazon, the ax200ngw, I assume that is the same thing and will work fine with my laptop?

Spoiler

Just now, Benji said:

Yup. Historically the last letters (NGW) determined the wireless standards that it supported. Kind of like the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (that obviously supported WiFi 802.11a, b and g), but nowadays it is just a distinction between two versions. The AX200D2WL would be the solder-only M.2 1216 LTE coexist version, while the AX200NGW is the regular M.2 2230 version that you're looking for. I bought mine for 9€ or something before that specific article has been continued with one of Germanys largest IT sellers and re-instated with a product picture and instead for almost 20€, so I got lucky.

That is lucky haha

Just to check before I order, I assume it will work all fine? I have compared it to the Realtek one and it looks identical, it just has newer features like WiFi 6 which I’m not sure if they would affect compatibility at all?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

That's because they are both the same form factor and they always look exactly the same, it's just the sticker that contains different information. The antenna connectors and screw position are standardised. It will not interfere with anything whatsoever. You can share the link if you like.

I mean, mine has been working for over half a year flawlessly now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Authentic-AX200NGW-Wireless-Bluetooth-Internal/dp/B01441VVB2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Ax200&qid=1602599724&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOEJMWDNXMFhDMFRHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDExOTU4M1ZQUEhCVUhLVTNZTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDM0MDQ2OVk3TE9SUVFHMTdLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thats the one I was looking at :)

Spoiler