Questions about storage

Acid Panda

Hello,

With prime day prompting me to look at my hardware I came to the conclusion that I'm in need of a new SSD from the SATA one I currently have (*). But as I have been doing some research its come to my attention with a concern about how many lanes I have left! There also seems to be quite  a mixed amount of information and opinion.

So on my MOBO (**) I have a GPU in the 16x slot and a WIFI card in the 4x slot (house has thick stone walls that make drilling though them impossible and old wiring powerline adapters don't work 😂).

My question is will I suffer adverse performance if I buy a NVME M.2 and what is the best method for migrating my data from one to the other.

I also have a 2tb hard drive also, will this be effected or will it just work with the new ssd when its been cloned

Processor is a 6700k.

(*) Current SSD: https://www.ebuyer.com/758695-adata-256gb-3d-nand-ssd-asu800ss-256gt-c?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscrRh7Wx7AIV4IBQBh0wrA20EAYYASABEgJJYvD_BwE

(**)Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-3-rev-10/sp#sp.

(***) what I might buy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V7S1T0BW-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07MBQPQ62/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2P4ZXG3QARWLT&dchild=1&keywords=1tb+m.2+ssd+nvme&qid=1602587556&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=1tb+m.2+ssd%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-7

happy to answer any questions if I've missed anything

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

My opinion is that you need to store allthe games and stuff in the hdd and store only your OS in a SSD it's a good way of saving money. I always recommend to buy an ssd from a reputable brand like samsung as ssd's (whether m.2 or sata) tend to have short lifespans which can do a lot of damage to your data

Pls reply if u need more info, I wil reply if I know about it, happy to help

*YOUR NAME SOUNDS FIMILIAR BTW* LOL

2 hours ago, Acid Panda said:

Hello,

With prime day prompting me to look at my hardware I came to the conclusion that I'm in need of a new SSD from the SATA one I currently have (*). But as I have been doing some research its come to my attention with a concern about how many lanes I have left! There also seems to be quite  a mixed amount of information and opinion.

So on my MOBO (**) I have a GPU in the 16x slot and a WIFI card in the 4x slot (house has thick stone walls that make drilling though them impossible and old wiring powerline adapters don't work 😂).

My question is will I suffer adverse performance if I buy a NVME M.2 and what is the best method for migrating my data from one to the other.

I also have a 2tb hard drive also, will this be effected or will it just work with the new ssd when its been cloned

Processor is a 6700k.

(*) Current SSD: https://www.ebuyer.com/758695-adata-256gb-3d-nand-ssd-asu800ss-256gt-c?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscrRh7Wx7AIV4IBQBh0wrA20EAYYASABEgJJYvD_BwE

(**)Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-3-rev-10/sp#sp.

(***) what I might buy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V7S1T0BW-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07MBQPQ62/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2P4ZXG3QARWLT&dchild=1&keywords=1tb+m.2+ssd+nvme&qid=1602587556&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=1tb+m.2+ssd%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-7

happy to answer any questions if I've missed anything

So lets talk about PCIe lanes, every gen 3 lane can carry 1 gig a sec, so if you drive has read writes of around 2 gig a sec you only need 2 free lanes, if you are concernt about the amount of PCIe lanes you have and you think you only have around 2 left then the 970 evo plus is too fast for that, so you could go with lets say the intel 665p series (which is only cheaper).

Another thing which im not sure about, Dont motherboards have dedicated lanes to every major PCIe connector, so your PCIe 16x for the GPU, one 4x for your whatever else, and like 4 for the m.2? im not sure about that 

@CutePanda I do have a 2tb hard drive but there are some things i would like to have on an ssd like certain games or programs that are large file sizes.

current ssd is full so need to have a larger capacity

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

@CutePanda @Elad.Evron Quick addendum the WIFI card is in a 1x slot if that makes a difference 

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.