os problems or dead hardware?

WesTooLoose

recently my computer has been having a lot of problems with opening programs startup and shutdown as well as restart, how do i tell if this is any piece of hardware vs the os having trouble

First things first, how long has it been since you did a complete backup?  Did you try looking in the task manager to see what was running?  Did you check the task manager to see what programs/software did an automatic start on bootup?

Check the task manager for those things and get back to us.  When you boot your machine, there are a ton of things that happen in the background that we don't see, and if we don't see them we tend to ignore them.

try putting Ubuntu on a USB then use that for a while and see if the issue persists.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

First things first, how long has it been since you did a complete backup?  Did you try looking in the task manager to see what was running?  Did you check the task manager to see what programs/software did an automatic start on bootup?

Check the task manager for those things and get back to us.  When you boot your machine, there are a ton of things that happen in the background that we don't see, and if we don't see them we tend to ignore them.

task manager can op[en but is unable to close unresponsive programs, i had issues with handbrake and task manager was unable to close it when it was unresponsive. uninstalled handbrake thinking it was the issue i now cannot open itunes or samsung magician (to check my ssd's health) or even open a video file to play

as for a backup, i have most of my important files backed up previously

You should be able to "end task" inside the task manager but you say your task manager is goofed.  Can you do a right-click on anything in the task manager?  If the answer to this question is "no", then unfortunately you may have a bigger problem.  My memory (in my head, not the pc) is really bad but if I remember correctly maybe you can get something done by doing a "reset", or an "sfc" command.  Check the commands for the "sfc" at the website below.  Maybe one of those can help, will cross my fingers.

Good luck, be safe, take care, and most of all, avoid the California fires.  We're burning out here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+sfc+repair&oq=windows+sfc&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.18111j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

36 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

You should be able to "end task" inside the task manager but you say your task manager is goofed.  Can you do a right-click on anything in the task manager?  If the answer to this question is "no", then unfortunately you may have a bigger problem.  My memory (in my head, not the pc) is really bad but if I remember correctly maybe you can get something done by doing a "reset", or an "sfc" command.  Check the commands for the "sfc" at the website below.  Maybe one of those can help, will cross my fingers.

Good luck, be safe, take care, and most of all, avoid the California fires.  We're burning out here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+sfc+repair&oq=windows+sfc&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.18111j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

thank you the scannow tool founds corrupt system files and repaired them

12 minutes ago, WesTooLoose said:

thank you the scannow tool founds corrupt system files and repaired them

so an update after scannow fixed corrupted system files i end tasks including windows file explorer, which then caused the task bar and windows to have a problem, after this it feels like this is a os problem am i correct to guess that?

Sorry for the delay in response, I was taking a much needed nap since I didn't get any sleep last night.  Now to the problem at hand.

Just out of shits and giggles, try running the sfc stuff again to see what it comes up with.  Then go ahead and do whatever fixes the scannow can fix.

Once all your sfc functions have been completed and everything is good to go then reboot your machine.  After the reboot, check the Windows update to see if there are any updates that you may need.  If so, go ahead and let windows do its thing and update anything that is required.

As a general rule, NEVER STOP, DELETE, REMOVE, CANCEL, END TASK, OR ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WINDOWS TASK MANAGER THAT STARTS WITH WINDOWS IN THE NAME OF THE FILE.  For example: Windows Driver Foundation, Windows Session Manager, etc.  Also, NEVER DELETE, STOP, REMOVE, CANCEL, END TASK, ANYTHING IN THE TASK MANAGER THAT STARTS WITH THE NAME OF "SERVICE HOST".

Messing with files that have either "Windows", or "Service Host" in their name can be really bad for the system.  Sort of like dumping salt in the gas tank of your car.  It's just something that you really don't want to do.

Good luck.