Coil whine.... PSU or GPU?

Thomieboy

Hello everybody,

I recentrly started hearing a high pitched noise when putting my system under load. Yesterdag I tought it was coming from my GPU (Asus GTX770). But now I think it's from my PSU (Be Quiet - 730W Pure Power CM). 

How do I know for sure ?  :huh:

The sound changes when doing something, like in the menu going to other screens. When minimizing or closing the game, it stops. 

Any help is much apreciated!  ;)

(Sorry for bad English)

~~ Sorry for bad English. I'm from Belgium. Thanks! Have a nice day!  ~~

Don't want to stick your head in your pc and listen?..... understandable, use a lapel mic or your headset if you have one and put the mic next to both while recording, then listen to which one has a louder whine

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

Stick your head in, it's the easiest way to know.

Or try putting your cpu only under heavy use, if it draws enough power and it's your psu that coil wines you'll hear it.
Not sure if cpus are able to drawn enough power to do that tho.

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

I solved my coil whine by upgrading my PSU. I went from a corsair 700Watt with an 80 plus certification, to a Seasonic 760Watt with a 80Plus Platinum certification. Now the loudest sound under load is my case fan.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

GPU's only coil whine under load. So if your system is whining at idle its pretty much the psu. Make sure to test without the C states by simply changing the windows power plan to high performance. Boards often coil whine as well with offset voltage though.

If you have another PC in the house try installing the GPU in it to see if it replicates. Could even be the MOBO.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD