looking for a laptop light weight, long battery life, thin

coder-guy22296

I was looking at the acer Aspire s7-932-6425 or 9439, but i have read a few reviews saying something wasnt working, and acer customer support was terrible, can anyone tell me if this was your experience with acer? I will be using this laptop for programming and for school, but I still want haswell i5 or i7 and ssd. any suggestions?

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

I don't know anything about the aforementioned notebook. Sorry. What kind of screen size and price budget do you have? Are you looking for a full laptop or will an ultrabook do?

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Linus had an S7 and relucantly gave it up. In other words he fucking loved it and hasn't liked any others equally since.

If OS isn't an issue I still think the Macbook Air is tough to beat in build and battery life. The panel is my only gripe about it

at least 13inch display (at least 1080p), no more than $1800, ultrabook will be fine.

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.

Linus had an S7 and relucantly gave it up. In other words he fucking loved it and hasn't liked any others equally since.

but im worried about customer support if there are defects

but im worried about customer support if there are defects

Acer has really improved over recent years and I wouldn't worry. If something is actually wrong they will cover it.

If OS isn't an issue I still think the Macbook Air is tough to beat in build and battery life. The panel is my only gripe about it

I kinda wanted it to be windows, I like osx, but, I want the freedom that comes with non osx, I want to dual boot Ubuntu linux on this laptop that i get 

Acer has really improved over recent years and I wouldn't worry. If something is actually wrong they will cover it.

this review really scared me: http://www.amazon.com/review/R23BY6J2LQGLBZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00HZ4F3Z6&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc

I kinda wanted it to be windows, I like osx, but, I want the freedom that comes with non osx, I want to dual boot Ubuntu linux on this laptop that i get 

If  you play it right, you could get a Macbook Pro/Air and then using the bootcamp utility, install 3 or even more different OS's. I dual boot Windows on my two year old Macbook Pro and it works flawlessly. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

It depends on your budget.

If you want the best after sale service, then go with Dell or Lenovo BUSINESS class system. The computers cost more for the specs than the consumer grade model, but you get the cool and quiet operation, you get the "just warm not hot" under load for most models, you get the better after sale service, you get easier serviceable device, you get the better keyboard and trackpad in many cases, you also get a higher build quality, a non glossy screen, and less to none junk filled system. Ordering by phone? You can negotiate the price, and ask for the OS disk.

Acer got better, but I think there is still A LOT of work to be done. Quality is still an issue, and after sale service, I am still hearing that is sucks.

I think the Acer S7 is not a good choice, and here is why.. well, what bugs me:

-> No F# keys. Yup.. none. You have to use Fn+ upper row keys to get it. The laptop HAS the room for it, but Acer decided to reinvent the keyboard. If you are using software that uses the F keys like Visual Studio for debugging, then this will be a big issue. If there was a genuine reason, then I would have no problem. In addition: Mini-Cap locks to fit some other key. Caps Lock can be disabled if don't want it via a registry tweak in Windows. The other key next to it.. can't and you need it. So if you are the type of person that hits a lot caps lock by mistake, this may be an issue. Finally: Where is the Home, End, Page up, Page down keys? Well it's separated on the keyboard and requires Fn keys which is the on the opposite of the keyboard making it text editing a chore.

-> HDMI. It has no DisplayPort. HDMI is limited connection, and is annoying when you have a cable connected to it, it doesn't hold well. Some manufactures then to make the HDMI port tight, so it holds better, but because of the design of the port is not great, it will get lose over time, especially after many plug-in and outs, and then it becomes a potential issue. mini DisplayPort holds great, and standard DisplayPort has a latch system to fix this problem. In addition, DisplayPort consumes less power, cheaper cables and adapters (due to the lack of royalty fees), backward compatible to HDMI with audio, support way more plug-in and outs than HDMI and DVI (I forgot how many, but it was a significantly higher), support higher resolutions, and like DVI. You plug it, it works. No fiddling with under scan and over scan or create custom resolution and all that, unless lucky. It just works, all the time.

-> Expensive. Like WAY too much. You can get a superior device in quality, and performance.

Check out the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 256GB. It has a Core i5 4200U or 4300U, 8GB of RAM, 1080p IPS display, it's about 11inch in size (10.6inch), has long battery life (my measurements: 3h and half to 12h depending if you push the system to the max or not. For my usage: 7-8h), solid construct, and no cheaping out: LPDDR3 1600MHz, low powered and one of the fastest mSATA 3 SSD, dual band wireless N with great range for such small device. Wacom digitizer included, with pen, supporting 1024 pressure sensitivity, side button and eraser functionality, so again, high end stuff. 0 junk... and when I mean 0 junk.. I mean none. Less then what you get when you custom build your system. You have Windows 8.1 Pro, and your drivers. That is all. Not even driver control panel. That is how lean and clean it is. The only thing you have, is Office Downloader app, which you might need, if you bought Office 2013 disk version, and want to install it, as you have no disk drive with the device. So it does have a genuine purpose. The app is only a few kilobytes from what I remember, if not a few megabytes, uninstalls in a flash.

If you are interested in the Surface Pro 2, I can give you all the info you need about it, and even all the downfalls of it which reviews, like always, don't cover. All laptop has it's quirks and issues. Most OEMs don't care in fixing them, only does it when it affects sales, and that happens when it reaches the media. Else, they don't care. Microsoft, in this case, is one of the few manufactures that are actively working in improving and fixing bugs and issues. Even the Surface Pro 1 still gets some. Very nice from them.