A Couple Of Questions Regarding A Home Server

Hello everyone.

So, I have been running a home server for a while now, but I have been thinking about changing it up a bit. Right now, I have two drives in it, one for the OS and one for files. This is of cause not optimal, but that is what I had at hand. I'm running Windows Server 2012 Essentials on it, and while that is working fine, I have been thinking about Linux for a while. Would there be any advantages using Linux over Windows? If yes, what distributions would you recommend?

Also, I need to set up RAID on the server sometime soon. Assuming I buy two drives more for the server, would RAID 5 be an ideal choice or is there another option I should look out for?

Truth be told i dont know a lot about this but i do remember linus did some vids on it.

Maybe these will help.

If you dont have any experience with linux and dont have any machines that run it then no keep running windows.

For a home server i dont see running linux would improve anything.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

For your raid 5 were you thinking about getting a raid card or using the on board raid? Also I agree with Rufee if you dont know linux stick with windows unless you want to learn linux if so then this would be a good way to do it.

For your raid 5 were you thinking about getting a raid card or using the on board raid? Also I agree with Rufee if you dont know linux stick with windows unless you want to learn linux if so then this would be a good way to do it.

I'm planning on using software RAID of some kind. I have heard good things about Stablebit Drivepool and Flexraid. Would Storage Spaces in Windows also be good enough?

For general file storage yes.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)