Should I get a bigger, better monitor as a primary?

Botond

Hi,

I currently have a 24inch, 1080p, 75Hz IPS monitor (LG 24MP59G), and I'm looking to get another monitor. I'm using my pc for several different things: gaming, programming and watching videos. I was thinking about either getting an identical monitor or getting a better one. The second option looks more appealing for me, but I don't know how far should I go. I checked the monitor supply of different stores. I've seen an LG monitor similar to mine (24inch, 1080p) but with 144Hz refresh rate, but the bigger monitors are alluring too (but they are much more expensive, especially the 27 inch, 1440p, 144Hz ones). I also like Samsung LS32R750QEUXEN space gaming monitor for the fact that it uses low ammount of space (it's a 32inch, 1440p, 144Hz monitor), but I really don't know if I need it.

So my question is, should I get a bigger, better monitor (and if the answer is yes, how far should I go), or should I stay at 1080p, 24inch and get a 144Hz monitor?

I have an RTX 2070 Super with a Ryzen 3600X and 16GB of RAM.

Depends on budget.  A 1440p at 27" really is the sweet spot for both gaming and media consumption.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

13 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Depends on budget.  A 1440p at 27" really is the sweet spot for both gaming and media consumption.

Thank you for your answer. Do you think that my pc is enough for the 1440p primary and 1080p secondary monitors? And finaly, do you think that the samsung space monitors with va panel (with the advertised 4ms gtg response time) would be good for gaming? I could only deduce that the va panels are good for media consumption, but they might not be good for gaming.

Yes, the 2070 Super is a pretty powerful card.  What kind of games are you looking to play and at what settings?  Going from 1080p to 1440p is 78% more pixels, so expect a decent drop in performance just from going up the resolution scale.  Space monitors?  What are those?  I'm going from an Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 144/165Hz IPS panel to the Samsung Odyssey G7 27" (which will only ship in September.....) so I can't say for sure that VA is any better or worse than admittedly a pretty good IPS panel (Acer, and the exact same panel is also used on the Asus PG279Q).

On a GTX 1070 at low-ish settings in Warzone, I get between 70-80FPS.  3700x.

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Yes, the 2070 Super is a pretty powerful card.  What kind of games are you looking to play and at what settings?  Going from 1080p to 1440p is 78% more pixels, so expect a decent drop in performance just from going up the resolution scale.  Space monitors?  What are those?  I'm going from an Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 144/165Hz IPS panel to the Samsung Odyssey G7 27" (which will only ship in September.....) so I can't say for sure that VA is any better or worse than admittedly a pretty good IPS panel (Acer, and the exact same panel is also used on the Asus PG279Q).

On a GTX 1070 at low-ish settings in Warzone, I get between 70-80FPS.  3700x.

Honestly, I don't know what will I play with in the future. I think I will want to play with new games in the future. I'd also like to get the best possible graphics, but I don't think that I care too much about it. I used to play Warzone on my Xbox One S, and now I play it on my PC. Honestly, I didn't notice a big change. Well, the fps is better, but that's all :) I used to play GTA V on my Xbox, and I played it again yesterday, but this time on my pc. My friend told me that it's much better on pc with max graphics, but I didn't notice the difference (it might be because the last time I played it on xbox was about 3 months ago).

If I understand it correctly, they are called space monitors because they are space efficient. Here is the 32 inch one I was talking about: https://www.samsung.com/uk/business/monitors/monitor-s32r75/ls32r750qeuxen/ The only thing I don't like about them is the lack of ports; they have only 1 hdmi and 1mini display port.

First I've ever heard of that line of monitors hahaha.  However, a 2070 Super should still do pretty well at 1440p for years and years to come.  I still have a great experience on my 1070 and that's 4 years and soon to be 2 generations old.

8 hours ago, Samfisher said:

First I've ever heard of that line of monitors hahaha.  However, a 2070 Super should still do pretty well at 1440p for years and years to come.  I still have a great experience on my 1070 and that's 4 years and soon to be 2 generations old.

Thank you for your help :) 

A 1440p monitor at 144hz is the sweetspot at the moment. 1080p 27 inch will look pretty blurry but any 1080p display will not take advantage of your hardware. I have a r5 2600 and rtx 2060 and have a 1440p 144hz main display with a secondary 1080p 60 display. That works fine so you should have no issue running 1440p with your setup.

3 hours ago, Avocheeseado said:

A 1440p monitor at 144hz is the sweetspot at the moment. 1080p 27 inch will look pretty blurry but any 1080p display will not take advantage of your hardware. I have a r5 2600 and rtx 2060 and have a 1440p 144hz main display with a secondary 1080p 60 display. That works fine so you should have no issue running 1440p with your setup.

Thank you for your help :)