Help me choose a power supply, cm v850 used or cougar lx500

Dizz

Hi I'm planning to buy a new psu for my system, my old one actually is still work well and only about 1 month old, it's aerocool lux RGB 550w semi modular. I want to change it because last week 2 of my drive died, I don't know if it's the power supply fault but i already return my old one.

I'm looking at these 2 models:

1. Cougar LX 500w it's about $50-$55, is tier B in the list and brand new.

2. Cooler Master v850 gold for about $70, is either tier B+ or A I don't know the production date, but is used and warranty up to 2023.

My system:

Ryzen 5 3500

Inno3d gtx1070

Asrock b450m steel legend

Lexar nm610(I think?still on RMA forgot the name) 500gb

Wd 2tb hdd(planning)

Cooler Master 212 turbo

4x fan case

My question is:

1. Is it worth the premium to get the v850 gold? I believe 500w is enough to drive my system.

2. Why is the v850 sold so cheap used, I found at least 3 that is priced similarly, is there issue with it? I mean it's half price.

3. Should I RMA it right away when I do get the v850?

Thank you.

All I got for you is the tier list.  Someone else may have better

you haven’t already RMAed it? 2 of your drives dying might not have much to do with the PSU.   They’ll want to send you the same kind back.  Possibly the same one along with a note saying “nothing wrong with it”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

All I got for you is the tier list.  Someone else may have better

you haven’t already RMAed it? 2 of your drives dying might not have much to do with the PSU.   They’ll want to send you the same kind back.  Possibly the same one along with a note saying “nothing wrong with it”

RMA the psu? No I returned it to the seller and they take it because it's still within the return period, and silly me not researching enough before buying I don't know where to RMA it anyway. Yeah I know the drive problem maybe not the psu, one of the drive is 1yearish but the other one is less than 1 month (bought it nearly the same time I bought the PSU) so I got a bit paranoid.

I looked at that tier list and review for research, but thanks anyway

1 hour ago, Dizz said:

RMA the psu? No I returned it to the seller and they take it because it's still within the return period, and silly me not researching enough before buying I don't know where to RMA it anyway. Yeah I know the drive problem maybe not the psu, one of the drive is 1yearish but the other one is less than 1 month (bought it nearly the same time I bought the PSU) so I got a bit paranoid.

I looked at that tier list and review for research, but thanks anyway

Return for cash better than rma

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I also like input on this, excuse my drawing.

What's your thoughts on using psu as exhaust?

The psu shroud(green part) is perforated so it can act as grill. The psu and bottom fan will sit right under gpu(afaik gpu fan blow on the heatsink).

Screenshot_20200722-103818_Keep Notes.jpg

7 hours ago, Dizz said:

I also like input on this, excuse my drawing.

What's your thoughts on using psu as exhaust?

The psu shroud(green part) is perforated so it can act as grill. The psu and bottom fan will sit right under gpu(afaik gpu fan blow on the heatsink).

Screenshot_20200722-103818_Keep Notes.jpg

PSUs used to be common for exaust.  Modern ones with variable fan speeds don’t work well for it though as the fan speed varies according to PSU heat.  You basically need a crap one for it to work and crap ones are dangerous for other reasons. 

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

PSUs used to be common for exaust.  Modern ones with variable fan speeds don’t work well for it though as the fan speed varies according to PSU heat.  You basically need a crap one for it to work and crap ones are dangerous for other reasons. 

I don't have access to mount another fan for exhaust beside the one on the back because the top one is obstructed by vrm heatsink. Do you think I should go with 3 intake and 1 exhaust with psu drawing air from outside or like the layout in the picture? Is the psu will be fine exhausting warm air from GPU? The older layout for case usually psu exhausting air from cpu which temperature is lower than GPU.

Btw I decided to buy the cooler master v850 gold, in the box it says 2015 so I guess it's based on 2013 model right? I tested it and it works fine, do you think it's scummy if I RMA it right away? I checked the policy and they will replace mine with new one if I do RMA it?

I got no opinion about the return thing.

Airflow is fluid dynamics and fluid dynamics is weird.  One generally just screws around with fan placement and pointing them in different directions until something works.

If you got a PSU that will leave its fan constantly on and it’s decent there’s a good argument for keeping it for that use.  

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I got no opinion about the return thing.

Airflow is fluid dynamics and fluid dynamics is weird.  One generally just screws around with fan placement and pointing them in different directions until something works.

If you got a PSU that will leave its fan constantly on and it’s decent there’s a good argument for keeping it for that use.  

Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) my psu have variable speed. I guess I'll try a bit which combination work for me.

The warm air from the gpu will affect the psu naturally, will it cause significant effect on the psu health?