Games randomly close/crash

boey

So I've had an issue since switching GPUs from a 1070 to a MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, my games keep crashing.

75% of crashes, the games just close, as if I Alt-F4'ed. No error message or anything.

The other crashes are when my games freeze, then stop being responsive and either close on their own or become unresponsive and I am forced to close them with Task Manager.

This suggests to me that there's a driver fault, but occasionally I see a flicker of green pixels across my screen as the game freezes, which I suppose could mean a slightly faulty GPU?

EDIT:

One thing I forgot to note. When playing lighter games(Kerbal Space Program with no mods, for example), freezing occurs but the game often recovers from it, and doesn't close. Also, this only occurs in games, other apps and regular desktop use is completely fine(for now, at least)

Here's what I've tried:

Remove overclock (Helped reduce frequency of crashes)

Dial Power limit back down to 100% from 111% (Did nothing)

DDU and reinstall newest drivers from Nvidia website (Helped reduce frequency of crashes)

Anything else I can try? Distribution/Warranty centres won't be open for a while, and their customer service is pretty shit, especially in cases where the product works 90% of the time and their half-assed testing may not see any crashing/failure. Also the places for warranty claiming are hotspots for COVID, and I'd rather not go there for a while.

PC specs:

Corsair RM650x

R5 3600, stock overclock

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

2X8GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz(timings tightened to 14-17-17-30)

240GB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 860 Evo, 2TB Barracuda

Set your ram timings to default xmp (according to google search) 16-18-18-36 and see if its becomes less frequent. Ryzen doesn't like any odd timings.

7 minutes ago, boey said:

Remove overclock (Helped reduce frequency of crashes)

On what?

Sorry but that sounds pretty much like a faulty GPU to me. Artifacting or pixel errors often refer to bad VRAM. This can cause your crashes too.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I would try to run without any oc anywhere,
with everything in default setting to see if the problem goes away.

EDIT:
Possibly faulty gpu. I agree.

11 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Set your ram timings to default xmp (according to google search) 16-18-18-36 and see if its becomes less frequent. Ryzen doesn't like any odd timings.

On what?

My bad, on GPU. Both core and mem OC. I'll try the default timings.

11 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Sorry but that sounds pretty much like a faulty GPU to me. Artifacting or pixel errors often refer to bad VRAM. This can cause your crashes too.

11 hours ago, kamiraasu said:

I would try to run without any oc anywhere,
with everything in default setting to see if the problem goes away.

EDIT:
Possibly faulty gpu. I agree.

Yeah, figured so. Thanks for the help, guess all I can do is wait at this point. Hopefully the memory thing helps a little

1 minute ago, boey said:

My bad, on GPU. Both core and mem OC. I'll try the default timings.

Yeah, figured so. Thanks for the help, guess all I can do is wait at this point. Hopefully the memory thing helps a little

You can also try to underclock the GPU until you're able to RMA it. Try-100MHz Core -500MHz Memory. Maybe it fill fix your issue temporarily. You can also try to set the Voltage Slider in MSI Afterburner to max and see if it improves your stability. It will however increase your temps.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.