PC shutdowns when playing Skyrim, need to unplug/replug PSU to restart PC

shamrodia74
Go to solution Solved by shamrodia74,
7 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Best way to find out would be to play another game. Stress tests and games do put different loads on the gpu.if you dont want to its cool but these threads can die out quickly if you reply later I can't be sure I will see. 

Well, I've been playing Skyrim for an hour now, nothing happened except that crash to desktop. Maybe yesterday was not my day. But it does seem to work. I will try other games later but it has solved itself I guess. You gotta love computers !!

Thank you for everything, I will mark it as solved, the only thing I changed  was gpu drivers, this might be the key for skyrim at least !

Hello guys,

Yesterday, while playing modded Skyrim (only graphical mods), my PC randomly crashed but did not restard, no BSODs too. I had to unplug and replug the power cable to be able to restart it (I have not waited a few minutes though). I don't think it is heat-related because my CPU and GPU were at a steady 70°C. I have run a CPU/GPU stress test (MSI Kombustor 4) for 30 minutes, but haven't been able to reproduce this crash. My PSU fan is turning, I have cleaned the inside of my computer as well but no change. The crash happens 5-10 mins in Skyrim, the thing is that I was able to play without crashes last month or so. The only changes I think of are drivers and exterior heat.

I will add that I have RMA'd my PSU once, for a high pitched noise that it was doing, but the new unit had the same issue so I figured it was the way it is built. Also my GPU coil whines quite a lot in Skyrim and other loads.

Here is my build:

- CPU : Ryzen 7 3700X

- CPU fan : Be Quiet Dark Rock 4

- GPU : RTX 2080 Ti MSI Gaming X Trio

- Motherboard : MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

- PSU : Cooler Master MWE 750 Gold

- RAM : Corsair LPX 2*8GB 3000MHz CL16

- Case : Cooler Master NR600 with 4 system fans

Thank you for your help !

gold psu probably isn't the issue. Have you done any overclocking? GPUs overheating really doesn't happen anymore they will just downclock to nothing. if temps are fine then I suggest playing another game. its quite rare but some games can cause a full crash. Like fallout 76 was known for this. Maybe the mods aren't playing friendly. If it happens in another game then we can work from there. 

1 minute ago, Ohsnaps said:

gold psu probably isn't the issue. Have you done any overclocking? GPUs overheating really doesn't happen anymore they will just downclock to nothing. if temps are fine then I suggest playing another game. its quite rare but some games can cause a full crash. Like fallout 76 was known for this. Maybe the mods aren't playing friendly. If it happens in another game then we can work from there. 

Nope, no overclocking, but it's weird because I could play it before no problems, but now it just refuses. And this kind of crash is strange, why would it refuse to turn back on if it is only software related ?

Thanks for the answer though, I was worried I would have to change my psu. I will try to remove mods and cross my fingers :D

4 minutes ago, shamrodia74 said:

Nope, no overclocking, but it's weird because I could play it before no problems, but now it just refuses. And this kind of crash is strange, why would it refuse to turn back on if it is only software related ?

Thanks for the answer though, I was worried I would have to change my psu. I will try to remove mods and cross my fingers :D

Try a different game. if it happens only with skyrim and not a stress test that leads me to believe its skyrim.

8 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Try a different game. if it happens only with skyrim and not a stress test that leads me to believe its skyrim.

Alright, thanks a lot, I will keep you updated. Right now I am replaying Skyrim and the only crash I got was just a crash to desktop, so the issue might have solved itself. I just updated my GPU drivers with today's update... Skyrim works in mysterious ways

16 minutes ago, shamrodia74 said:

Alright, thanks a lot, I will keep you updated. Right now I am replaying Skyrim and the only crash I got was just a crash to desktop, so the issue might have solved itself. I just updated my GPU drivers with today's update... Skyrim works in mysterious ways

Best way to find out would be to play another game. Stress tests and games do put different loads on the gpu.if you dont want to its cool but these threads can die out quickly if you reply later I can't be sure I will see. 

7 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Well, I've been playing Skyrim for an hour now, nothing happened except that crash to desktop. Maybe yesterday was not my day. But it does seem to work. I will try other games later but it has solved itself I guess. You gotta love computers !!

Thank you for everything, I will mark it as solved, the only thing I changed  was gpu drivers, this might be the key for skyrim at least !

Just now, shamrodia74 said:

all good if you get an issue just quote me and if i see it ill reply