Upgrading Recomendations plz!

Go to solution Solved by Nakedpeanut,

I'd actually take a different swing at this and recommend just buying a new 2060 KO ($300) or similar GPU only.

Try get some empirical data and track your CPU usage during a few gaming sessions: https://pcgamehaven.com/easily-monitor-cpu-gpu-usage-gaming/

If your CPU is struggling -which I doubt- then yes look at upgrading it; but rather try hold out a bit longer and save up more money for that CPU, Mobo, RAM upgrade.

Looking at games you play I don't see the need to upgrade your CPU. You are spending a lot of money (CPU, Mobo, RAM) for minimal % increasing in FPS. If you were playing GTA V or other more CPU intensive games constantly then I'd agree with GGFast,

Budget (including currency): usd $350-450 (less is always better tho)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Rust, CS-GO, rainbow Six Siege, Dead by Daylight, other casual games

I made a PC three years ago or so? It was made on a tight budget, and I finally have a chance to upgrade. So currently it looks like this ; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x67GzN

These are the upgraded parts i want to get.    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NmZ9Zf     I figured DDR3 wasn't worth keeping (a little slow with age) so I decided I should upgrade the motherboard which meant I would need to upgrade the CPU and the RAM too. I'm not worried about getting an SSD or a new monitor yet btw. I'll live for a little while longer with what I have. 

Please let me know if it is or isn't actually worth upgrading all of this. And/or if any of the parts could be replaced by something else!

9 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Budget (including currency): usd $350-450 (less is always better tho)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Rust, CS-GO, rainbow Six Siege, Dead by Daylight, other casual games

I made a PC three years ago or so? It was made on a tight budget, and I finally have a chance to upgrade. So currently it looks like this ; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x67GzN

These are the upgraded parts i want to get.    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NmZ9Zf     I figured DDR3 wasn't worth keeping (a little slow with age) so I decided I should upgrade the motherboard which meant I would need to upgrade the CPU and the RAM too. I'm not worried about getting an SSD or a new monitor yet btw. I'll live for a little while longer with what I have. 

Please let me know if it is or isn't actually worth upgrading all of this. And/or if any of the parts could be replaced by something else!

What do you usually have your graphics settings set to when you play or what you would like them to be set to

🙂Midnight.GG. Do you want a prize?

Just now, GGFast said:

What do you usually have your graphics settings set to when you play or what you would like them to be set to

Right now, I set them to whatever can run at 60HZ (which is usually very low to middle graphics quality)

Just now, thebrain36 said:

Right now, I set them to whatever can run at 60HZ (which is usually very low to middle graphics quality)

OK

12 minutes ago, GGFast said:

OK

Does this mean you have no recommendations for me??

Just now, thebrain36 said:

Does this mean you have no recommendations for me??

I'm doing some quick research hold on also your case is ATX right

2 minutes ago, GGFast said:

I'm doing some quick research hold on also your case is ATX right

Yes ATX Mid tower (sorry, I'm an impatient slob)

Also, what ways could I upgrade my current PC without replacing the motherboard? Would the AM3+ socket have any worthwhile upgrades behind it??

46 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Yes ATX Mid tower (sorry, I'm an impatient slob)

Ok I did my research here's what I got

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $229.41 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $136.06 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Video Card ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8 GB Phantom Gaming D OC Video Card $189.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $635.45
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $615.45
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-28 18:23 EDT-0400  

Here's some alts that will cost less

Ram: https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-SKILL-Aegis-16GB-288-Pin-DDR4-SDRAM-DDR4-2133-PC4-17000-Desktop-Memory-Model/301865718962?hash=item46489954b2%3Ag%3A554AAOSwhJ5c5ORe&LH_BIN=1

(You may be able to get it as low as $150) CPU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X-3-8GHz-6-Core-AM4-w-Wraith-Prism-Cooler-Priority-Shipping/402271078986?epid=24033154092&hash=item5da9398a4a%3Ag%3AlgIAAOSwJp1ewyDK&LH_All=1

Graphics card: https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-5500-xt-rx5500xt-pgd-8go/p/N82E16814930027?Item=N82E16814930027&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fpcpartpicker.com%2flist%2f&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-brltAKZEg010fzLCG2cEig

(Sorry but wont be in stock till June 2) Mobo: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FVYKFXF/ref=twister_B085Q9VWK1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

8 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Also, what ways could I upgrade my current PC without replacing the motherboard? Would the AM3+ socket have any worthwhile upgrades behind it??

Well it'd be better just to switch sockets now then wait until later. But the best and fastest CPU for an upgrade is the AMD Black Edition FX-8370

Just now, GGFast said:

Well it'd be better just to switch sockets now then wait until later. But the best and fastest CPU for an upgrade is the AMD Black Edition FX-8350

Ok thank you! I just realized that the mobo I put in the parts picker list was a micro... whoops. Is the upgrade to the Ryzen 5 3600X over the Ryzen 5 3600 worth it? especially for gaming and browsing the web sorta stuff (and occasional video editing). 

3 minutes ago, GGFast said:

Well it'd be better just to switch sockets now then wait until later. But the best and fastest CPU for an upgrade is the AMD Black Edition FX-8370

Anyway I got to go now but if you have more questions you can post them now and ill answer them tomorrow

1 minute ago, thebrain36 said:

Ok thank you! I just realized that the mobo I put in the parts picker list was a micro... whoops. Is the upgrade to the Ryzen 5 3600X over the Ryzen 5 3600 worth it? especially for gaming and browsing the web sorta stuff (and occasional video editing). 

Well it won't be noticeable by much in performance but I just wanted to find something that was a bit better

18 hours ago, GGFast said:

Well it won't be noticeable by much in performance but I just wanted to find something that was a bit better

The biggest issue with it is the price. I don't see a huge benefit in getting a more expensive CPU especially considering the small performance difference. In fact, I'm beginning to consider a Ryzen 3 instead of a Ryzen 5 to save some money. I'll have to get more opinions and think about it for a little.

I'd actually take a different swing at this and recommend just buying a new 2060 KO ($300) or similar GPU only.

Try get some empirical data and track your CPU usage during a few gaming sessions: https://pcgamehaven.com/easily-monitor-cpu-gpu-usage-gaming/

If your CPU is struggling -which I doubt- then yes look at upgrading it; but rather try hold out a bit longer and save up more money for that CPU, Mobo, RAM upgrade.

Looking at games you play I don't see the need to upgrade your CPU. You are spending a lot of money (CPU, Mobo, RAM) for minimal % increasing in FPS. If you were playing GTA V or other more CPU intensive games constantly then I'd agree with GGFast,

2 minutes ago, Nakedpeanut said:

If your CPU is struggling

You're meaning the CPU I currently have right? (FX-6300)

3 minutes ago, Nakedpeanut said:

just buying a new 2060 KO

Will the GDDR6 memory in that GPU still work with my current motherboard? 

Also would you say buying another stick or ram would help at all?

4 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

You're meaning the CPU I currently have right? (FX-6300)

Will the GDDR6 memory in that GPU still work with my current motherboard? 

Also would you say buying another stick or ram would help at all?

Correct your current CPU.

And yes the GPU will work as the Memory is on the card and used locally by it; not the rest of system.

If you can get a cheap stick maybe (and again if you feel you really NEEED it).

But I think you are then investing money into an aging system. where I'd say rather just save it and go in for that CPU, mobo, Ram upgrade later.

1 minute ago, Nakedpeanut said:

money into an aging system.

This is a good point. If i buy DDR3 ram now, that's money I won't have for DDR4 when I upgrade the motherboard. Thank you so much. I'm going to play some games for a bit with MSI afterburner to see just how much my CPU is needed. I'll let you know what I conclude.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:09 PM, Nakedpeanut said:

And yes the GPU will wor

I was just doing some research and I noticed that the GeForce RTX 2060 KO needs an 8 pin power connector. My PSU doesn't have one... it has a 6 pin and two four pins, but one of the four pins is occupied by the motherboard power (I could get a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter but sounds sketch). The PSU's model number is RS-460-PSAR-13. It's a cooler master. I bought the PSU for like $35 around three years ago. How long is a PSU supposed to last? I feel like it's a good idea to replace it now.  

On 5/28/2020 at 3:38 PM, GGFast said:

bit better

9 hours ago, thebrain36 said:

I was just doing some research and I noticed that the GeForce RTX 2060 KO needs an 8 pin power connector. My PSU doesn't have one... it has a 6 pin and two four pins, but one of the four pins is occupied by the motherboard power (I could get a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter but sounds sketch). The PSU's model number is RS-460-PSAR-13. It's a cooler master. I bought the PSU for like $35 around three years ago. How long is a PSU supposed to last? I feel like it's a good idea to replace it now.  

Hmm Ok that's different to what you had in the parts picker list.

I'm also not a fan of the 6+2 adapters' And I'd definitely recommend getting a better quality psu; like a nice 500w.

They last many years and some have long warranty periods especially if you get a good one (like 5-10years)

The global supply of PSUs is under pressure due to covid so you might find it very difficult to find a good selection of in stock units. 

2 hours ago, Nakedpeanut said:

Hmm Ok that's different to what you had in the parts picker list.

Yeah that was my mistake when putting all the stuff in. I don't think the  RS-460-PSAR-13 is even in their datebase...

2 hours ago, Nakedpeanut said:

like a nice 500w.

I saw an evga 500w bronze (the one everyone knows and loves) but do you know of any other good alternatives, if any?

3 hours ago, thebrain36 said:

It's not going to be anything 'special' but it will certainly serve your purpose just fine. Good company behind it and the 5 year warranty is better than the EVGA's 3.

I've not looked into PSU's in ages; so not aware of any new releases or alternatives in that price range. So see what you can find from the other big names (Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair, Antec etc) that is in stock. If nothing then just pull the trigger :)

Edit: If I was buying now the Seasonic GX 550 would likely be my choice; @$100 It's abut $20 more than it should be; but #COVID..

It will last you for years and give you a great platform to build up from.

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-GX-550-Full-Modular-Application-SSR-550FX/dp/B07WQYM74W/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1590959127&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6906984011&rnid=6525659011&s=pc&sr=1-4