New build advice and OEM Upgrade

Budget (including currency): about 1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Main computer: Work (3D soft) & Gaming (AC Odyssey, RDR2...etc) - Secondary computer: Work (Digital art: Clip Studio Paint, Photoshop, Paint Tool SAI, Corel Painter)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi everyone,

It's my first post here so far, and it will be a looooooooong one, I will try to make it easy to read and organized.

First at all, please note that I am not in the US, I am in a country where electronics are so f**** expensive and choices are limited, you can't find everything you want. Really, I am talking about at least US price x 1.5, but it's generally more that that. To make thing easier, I will use USD (sorry for EU and POUND users ^^). Some prices fluctuate so I put the minimal am maximum amount.

Let's start : I own a Dell XPS 8930 with these specs (memory and storage upgraded):

• CPU: Intel i7-8700 (non k)

• RAM: Kingston HyperX 2666 C16 4x16GB

• GPU: Dell OEM GTX 1070

• SSD: Toshiba XG5 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB

• HDD: 2 x 2TB 7200 rpm

• HDD: 8TB 5400 rpm

• MB: Z370 chipset

• PSU 460W

Display:

• Monitor 43" (4k)

• 43" TV used as second monitor (1080p)

• Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 (4k)

This is my main setup for work and gaming. I want to build a secondary budget computer for digital art only with the Wacom and put it on the second desk on my room that I rarely use these days. I use the software Clip Studio Paint (CPS) mainly, but also Paint Tools SAI, Photoshop and Corel Painter. Well I personally find CPS more optimized than the other, it focus mainly in CPU (single thread, not too much MT) and memory. GPU is only for 3d models that can be used as ref. SSD is a given.

Since I have to purchase a discrete GPU, a PSU and the other stuff for the new build, I got and idea: Why not upgrade my main computer in the same time and use its parts on the new build?

This where it really starts, I need some advice on the matter to maximize benefits and reduce costs. I also want to be a future proof.

I have two scenarios:

OPTION 1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- DELL XPS 8930 UPGRADE and use its parts in the new build (tricky) : this pc is known for the heat issue (bad airflow), especially in my case with the 2 additional HDDs. Maybe I shoul post pictures? So I plan to upgrade:

CPU cooler: Arctic-Cooling Freezer 11 LP $35

Exhaust cooler: Noctua NF-S12A FLX $50 (I have to purchase a used bracket from other Dell pcs)

GPU (blower type for this case), need advice considering the outrageous prices here :

• RTX 2060 $520

• 2060S $610

• 2070S $740

The original PSU is 460W, maybe enough for the 2060 but not for the 2 others I think. Any idea? I still need to buy one for the new build so why not upgrade ?

PSU: what do you advice here? 750 -- 850W Gold? Or go for a cheaper 650W? Is 750W Platinum worth it?

• Seasonic Focus Plus 750W 80 Plus Gold $172

• Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80 Plus Gold $200

• Seasonic Focus Plus 750W 80 Plus Platinum $205

- New Build: secondary computer for digital art with CSP and Wacom cintiq pro, 4k 60hz, and another monitor for references, I plan to buy a used 1080p one.

CPU: many options. Intel vs AMD, motherboard prices and choices are going to made me sick. For now I think I will go with AMD due to MB being more affordable, But I am open to any advice. I also considered i5 8400, i3 9100F or i5 8400F.

• AMD Ryzen 5 1600 USED on ebay $106 with shipping

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X $180-220

MB (Wifi and BT are a must have): Gigabyte B450M DS3H $100 but I don't really know a lot about MBs so any advice will help, do no hesitate !

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 2666 CL16 $0 (the ones from my Dell before going 64gb)

GPU: GTX 1070 $0 from the Dell

STORAGE: Samsung SSD 970 EVO PCI-E NVMe M.2 500 GB $150

PSU: 460W $0 from the Dell, it's a normal ITX one but maybe there is some specific cables/connections?

CASE: advice for a cheap mini/mid tower cool enough for the CPU and the full length GPU? those are just what I find I hope there is something cheaper or better. I am not on RGB and stuff I want something functional with good airflow.

• Aerocool Split RGB Black $80

• Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 $80

This is the first option. I have seen people in Dell forum with those upgrades, a lot of work due to the OEM being cramped and difficult to manage but still doable. The other potential problem is using the Dell PSU on the new build but I think it's also doable.

OPTION 2 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- DELL XPS 8930 DOWNGRADE : I plan to:

CPU: change to a cheaper compatible one.

• Intel Core i3-8100 $110-190 used and new

• Intel Core i5-8400 USED on ebay $100 with shipping or $240-300 new locally LOL

• Intel Core i3-9100F (not sue if it works on Z370) $130-170

• Intel Core i5-9400F (not sue if it works on Z370) $200-250

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 2666 CL16 $0 (the original that where in this pc)

CPU cooler: Arctic-Cooling Freezer 11 LP $35 (worth it?)

- New Build: this will become my main computer with the Dell CPU, RAM and HDDs.

MB (Wifi and BT are a must have): the part O know the last, so many talk about VRM. For now I found:

• Gigabyte Z390 UD $170

• Asus PRIME Z390-P $170

• Msi MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC $230

CPU cooler: AIR but not choosed yet any recommendations for the i7 8700 non K?

GPU: same options as before but no obligation for blower type this time.

STORAGE: Samsung SSD 970 EVO PCI-E NVMe M.2 500 GB $150

PSU: same as before.

CASE: same as before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is it, finally! Now I hope I will get help on this!