CPU and CPU both under performing.

Hello, I ran a novabench benchmark test after i was getting low fps in hitman 2. The results that came back said both my GPU and CPU were performing below average. Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions to fix this? Also while browsing i was getting CPU temps of 106*c and GPU temps of 44*c

My specs: 

RTX 2060 super

Ryzen 5 2600 (not overclocked and im using the stock cooler)

GA-A320M-H Motherboard

500tb M.2 SSD 

2tb HDD

adasdasd.PNG

8 minutes ago, deanfoster7828 said:

Also while browsing i was getting CPU temps of 106*c and GPU temps of 44*c

If your CPU is running at 106C it is thermal throttling, that would be the issue.

Reapply thermal paste and reseat the cpu cooler.

Pizza is the best food group

image.png.3536f0317495de63615002797399e899.png

Interesting, my system is similar, at least CPU wise.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

Holy crap I didn't see the temps! Your CPU cooler needs looked at.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

1 hour ago, FeIIex said:

If your CPU is running at 106C it is thermal throttling, that would be the issue.

Reapply thermal paste and reseat the cpu cooler.

Hello, I reapplied thermal paste and reinstalled my cpu cooler then ran the benchmark again. The score went up by around 250 however it still says my system is under performing. Also when i booted up i checked the cpu temps in the BIOS and it said 40*c which is a lot cooler then what the benchmark said. Im wondering If you have any other ideas? Appreciate the help.  

asdasdasdas.PNG

1 hour ago, OU812 said:

Holy crap I didn't see the temps! Your CPU cooler needs looked at.

Hello, I applied more thermal paste and checked the temps in the BIOS and it said only 40*c which is a huge difference compared to the benchmark. The benchmark score also increased by 250 after however it still says under performing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

asdasdasdas.PNG

4 minutes ago, deanfoster7828 said:

when i booted up i checked the cpu temps in the BIOS and it said 40

The temp will change pretty quickly once the load is removed (ie when you stop the benchmark and reboot it will most certainly drop quite a bit). I'd recommend monitoring the temps while the test is running using HWiNFO. Not only will that tell you what the temps are in real time there is also a yes/no to indicate if the CPU is thermal throttling.

1 hour ago, OU812 said:

image.png.3536f0317495de63615002797399e899.png

Interesting, my system is similar, at least CPU wise.

Its a pain the arse XD If you find a solution let me know haha.

11 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

The temp will change pretty quickly once the load is removed (ie when you stop the benchmark and reboot it will most certainly drop quite a bit). I'd recommend monitoring the temps while the test is running using HWiNFO. Not only will that tell you what the temps are in real time there is also a yes/no to indicate if the CPU is thermal throttling.

Hello, I installed the software and have had my system running for around half hour now. It said my cpu temp was 45*c so it seems me replacing the thermal paste helped. However when i re-ran the benchmark the score only increased by 250 and its still suggesting my pc is under performing for its specs. 

temps.PNG

1 minute ago, deanfoster7828 said:

Hello, I installed the software and have had my system running for around half hour now. It said my cpu temp was 45*c so it seems me replacing the thermal paste helped. However when i re-ran the benchmark the score only increased by 250 and its still suggesting my pc is under performing for its specs. 

temps.PNG

Those are the temps while running the benchmark?

4 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

Those are the temps while running the benchmark?

Those were the results for general browsing. These were the results while running the benchmark:

temp benchmark.PNG

14 minutes ago, deanfoster7828 said:

Those were the results for general browsing. These were the results while running the benchmark:

temp benchmark.PNG

That's a little more believable with a stock cooler.

I have a few more thoughts:

1. It looks like you've solved the obvious problem of thermal throttling
  2. I've never used Novabench (and I'm not sure how this benchmark works) but to my knowledge is not one of the go-to benchmarks. Cinebench and Geekbench are much more common for closer to real-world CPU testing.

There's a lot that can affect benchmark scores; RAM speeds and silicon lottery come to mind but, to be honest with you, unless you need to squeeze absolutely everything out of your chip (and probably spend a lot of time digging pretty deep into it) I wouldn't worry about it.

58 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

That's a little more believable with a stock cooler.

I have a few more thoughts:

1. It looks like you've solved the obvious problem of thermal throttling
  2. I've never used Novabench (and I'm not sure how this benchmark works) but to my knowledge is not one of the go-to benchmarks. Cinebench and Geekbench are much more common for closer to real-world CPU testing.

There's a lot that can affect benchmark scores; RAM speeds and silicon lottery come to mind but, to be honest with you, unless you need to squeeze absolutely everything out of your chip (and probably spend a lot of time digging pretty deep into it) I wouldn't worry about it.

I decided to run another benchmark on Geekbench and userbenchmark.com and my GPU and other devices got an outstanding or very good score other than my cpu which was above average. However when compared to other benchmarks people had done with the same specs my cpu is under performing by 24% (which for me is a lot) 

Results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 81%, Desk 65%, Work 66%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 54.2% --- other systems were getting 78%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060S (Super) - 95%
SSD: WD Blue SN500 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 167.3%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 91.1%
RAM: Unknown CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 CM4X8GD3000C16K4D 16GB - 72.7%
MBD: Novatech PC-X011042

new benchmark.PNG

Edited by deanfoster7828

14 minutes ago, deanfoster7828 said:

I decided to run another benchmark on Geekbench and userbenchmark.com and my GPU and other devices got an outstanding or very good score other than my cpu which was above average. However when compared to other benchmarks people had done with the same specs my cpu is under performing by 24% (which for me is a lot) 

Results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 81%, Desk 65%, Work 66%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 54.2% --- other systems were getting 78%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060S (Super) - 95%
SSD: WD Blue SN500 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 167.3%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 91.1%
RAM: Unknown CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 CM4X8GD3000C16K4D 16GB - 72.7%
MBD: Novatech PC-X011042

new benchmark.PNG

Hello, I fixed the issue! It turns out in power management i had my cpu minimum power set to 5%. I turned it to 100% and re-ran each benchmark and now the cpus running perfectly. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, deanfoster7828 said:

Hello, I reapplied thermal paste and reinstalled my cpu cooler then ran the benchmark again. The score went up by around 250 however it still says my system is under performing. Also when i booted up i checked the cpu temps in the BIOS and it said 40*c which is a lot cooler then what the benchmark said. Im wondering If you have any other ideas? Appreciate the help.  

asdasdasdas.PNG

Hello, I fixed the issue! It turns out in power management i had my cpu minimum power set to 5%. I turned it to 100% and re-ran each benchmark and now the cpus running perfectly. Thanks for the help on thermal throttling too.

1 minute ago, deanfoster7828 said:

It turns out in power management i had my cpu minimum power set to 5%

Oh yeah, that'll definitely do it!

1 hour ago, deanfoster7828 said:

Its a pain the arse XD If you find a solution let me know haha.

If your still having the issue go to control panel - hardware and software - power options - select balance and then click on change plan settings - change advanced power settings - look for process power management - expand minimum processor state and set it too 100% then click apply.

This fixed it for me at least!