Re-building your screen

_Dwarf

Hi everyone,

I need help with something, I just watched the video where Linus built his own screen using an EDP adaptor. Having a BenQ XL2411 (guessed what I want to do ?) and a laptop with no DVI or DP I thought I could buy an EDP adaptor compatible with 1080p@144Hz.

Do you think it's possible ? Is it worth it ?

Yeah I know I did a bad choice buying this screen but when I bought it I didn't knew the HDMI port was limited to 60Hz.

Thanks for your help !

33 minutes ago, _Dwarf said:

Hi everyone,

I need help with something, I just watched the video where Linus built his own screen using an EDP adaptor. Having a BenQ XL2411 (guessed what I want to do ?) and a laptop with no DVI or DP I thought I could buy an EDP adaptor compatible with 1080p@144Hz.

Do you think it's possible ? Is it worth it ?

Yeah I know I did a bad choice buying this screen but when I bought it I didn't knew the HDMI port was limited to 60Hz.

Thanks for your help !

Why do you want to do this? Just get a hdmi or dp to dvi adapter?

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why do you want to do this? Just get a hdmi or dp to dvi adapter?

Because if i use an adaptator I can't use 144Hz since I only have an HDMI port on my laptop.

And it's not possible to make an adaptator hdmi -> dvi dual-link.

1 hour ago, _Dwarf said:

Because if i use an adaptator I can't use 144Hz since I only have an HDMI port on my laptop.

And it's not possible to make an adaptator hdmi -> dvi dual-link.

Wasn't aware about that my bad. However rebuilding the monitor is not guaranteed to work so your best bet would be to sell the monitor and get a new one instead of taking a gamble and wasting money + losing your monitor.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Wasn't aware about that my bad. However rebuilding the monitor is not guaranteed to work so your best bet would be to sell the monitor and get a new one instead of taking a gamble and wasting money + losing your monitor.

Np.
Yep I think I will do that but I did this post in case someone already did something like that and wanted to share his experience.

4 hours ago, _Dwarf said:

I thought I could buy an EDP adaptor compatible with 1080p@144Hz.

From experience, it is really hard to find an LCD control board that does more than 1080p @60hz. And even when I did find something that worked, it was too expensive to make sense (over $100 dollars for just a control board).

So, what I reccomend is an adapter solution. You can adapt HDMI to DVI dual link, it's just a janky process.

1. You need to buy an HDMI 1.4 to Displayport 1.1 adapter. This is one: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Converter-FOINNEX-Adapter-Powered/dp/B07G796JF8?th=1 Reviews say it works up to 1080p 144 hz. You'll notice it's an active adapter, it plugs into a USB port for power. 
  2. Then convert the DP 1.1 to dual link DVI. Again, an active adapter. This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-DisplayPort-DVI-D-Dual-Link-Adapter/dp/B00856WJH8?th=1

You'll notice the adapters are expensive. So, you can either find cheaper ones (I just linked the first ones I found) or sell your monitor and buy one with HDMI. 

I hope this was helpful. 

28 minutes ago, newbie6445 said:

From experience, it is really hard to find an LCD control board that does more than 1080p @60hz. And even when I did find something that worked, it was too expensive to make sense (over $100 dollars for just a control board).

So, what I reccomend is an adapter solution. You can adapt HDMI to DVI dual link, it's just a janky process.

1. You need to buy an HDMI 1.4 to Displayport 1.1 adapter. This is one: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Converter-FOINNEX-Adapter-Powered/dp/B07G796JF8?th=1 Reviews say it works up to 1080p 144 hz. You'll notice it's an active adapter, it plugs into a USB port for power. 
  2. Then convert the DP 1.1 to dual link DVI. Again, an active adapter. This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-DisplayPort-DVI-D-Dual-Link-Adapter/dp/B00856WJH8?th=1

You'll notice the adapters are expensive. So, you can either find cheaper ones (I just linked the first ones I found) or sell your monitor and buy one with HDMI. 

I hope this was helpful. 

This is what i call doing a MacGyver.

BenQ XL2411 has an HDMI port, BenQ was just stupid enough to limit the HDMI port to 60Hz.

Thanks for your answer but with this kind of price I think it will be more profitable to sell mine and buy a new one.

If someone knows an EDP adaptor that's HDMI with 144Hz I'm still interested !