PC acting strange

django_keyes

Hey Guys, 

My system is a: 

Ryzen 2600x

Asus B450F

32gb 3000mhz Trident Z

Gigabyte Windforce 980ti (shes an old girl)

Seasonic 750 prime Ti

Corsair H150i pro

Intel 760p 512gb Game drive

Samsung 860evo boot drive

There are multiple things the computer has done and they lead me to suspicion of either the install of windows or the hardware. About 4-5 months ago, when playing CSGO, I would experience weird crashes, where the frames would drop suddenly and then the screen would be frozen, I could not access task manager to close CS, nor could I exit the game, therefore requiring me to hold my power button for a force shutdown. 

That problem seemed to stop, I have had antivirus on my pc forever and I don't feel that I have a virus, I run regular scans and watch what I download. 

Now, my new problem is weird boots. Sometimes, when I turn on and the Asus boot screen pops up, everything is fine, the Windows dot loading circle spins for a few seconds, then freezes. Other times, I boot my pc and there is just no signal at all. Whats weird is that most of the time my pc works fine, other times it just doesn't boot. 

My question is complex, but what I am asking is if something hardware related is failing (all memory is recognized and running at 3000mhz) or if something software is wrong, either requiring a clean install of Windows, or a driver reinstall. 

If I do upgrade CPU and motherboard, any suggestions for 5-6 hundred Ryzen, best FPS for CSGO? Gpu?

Thanks guys, stay safe,

-Django

24 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

Django

Hard locks are almost always a sign of hardware problems.

I'd start with the following steps:

Turn off any Overclocking or XMP use.

Test your RAM with Memtest86+ (https://www.memtest.org/)

Report back and we'll take it from there.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

thats what I was thinking, will do a mem test and report back

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Okay did memTest and no errors came back. GPU? 

34 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

3 hours ago, django_keyes said:

Hey Guys, 

My system is a: 

Ryzen 2600x

Asus B450F

32gb 3000mhz Trident Z

Gigabyte Windforce 980ti (shes an old girl)

Seasonic 750 prime Ti

Corsair H150i pro

Intel 760p 512gb Game drive

Samsung 860evo boot drive

There are multiple things the computer has done and they lead me to suspicion of either the install of windows or the hardware. About 4-5 months ago, when playing CSGO, I would experience weird crashes, where the frames would drop suddenly and then the screen would be frozen, I could not access task manager to close CS, nor could I exit the game, therefore requiring me to hold my power button for a force shutdown. 

That problem seemed to stop, I have had antivirus on my pc forever and I don't feel that I have a virus, I run regular scans and watch what I download. 

Now, my new problem is weird boots. Sometimes, when I turn on and the Asus boot screen pops up, everything is fine, the Windows dot loading circle spins for a few seconds, then freezes. Other times, I boot my pc and there is just no signal at all. Whats weird is that most of the time my pc works fine, other times it just doesn't boot. 

My question is complex, but what I am asking is if something hardware related is failing (all memory is recognized and running at 3000mhz) or if something software is wrong, either requiring a clean install of Windows, or a driver reinstall. 

If I do upgrade CPU and motherboard, any suggestions for 5-6 hundred Ryzen, best FPS for CSGO? Gpu?

Thanks guys, stay safe,

-Django

Probably this is a in issue in the hardware but to be on a safe side try checking if there are corruptions in your system files using this command "sfc /scannow" in Adminstrator CMD.That will also attempt to fix the corrupted files, if any were found.
Id suggest checking the tempratures of the GPU and the CPU at normal usage, if abnormal tempratures were found then there might be a problem in the cooling system or the cpu,gpu or both are overclocked.

BOLD not ITALIC

22 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

Probably this is a in issue in the hardware but to be on a safe side try checking if there are corruptions in your system files using this command "sfc /scannow" in Adminstrator CMD.That will also attempt to fix the corrupted files, if any were found.
Id suggest checking the tempratures of the GPU and the CPU at normal usage, if abnormal tempratures were found then there might be a problem in the cooling system or the cpu,gpu or both are overclocked.

Temps are fine gpu fans like never spin and temps never go over 70, CPU has a 360mm overkill aio so thats fine. I have done a search for corruptions many times and nothing came back. My questions is what part, GPU? 

54 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

have you now got everything at factory standard speeds no overclocks on your cpu/gpu no xmp profiles on your ram?

ram was set at 3000mhz no xmp everything else stock, I played around with gpu overclocking for a day then set it back to stock

have you tried running the ram a little slower say 2666 and then trying to recreate the fault. ryzen 1st/2nd gen can be really picky with the ram it likes and what speeds especially if you are using 4 DIMMs

Just now, nickd_games said:

have you tried running the ram a little slower say 2666 and then trying to recreate the fault. ryzen 1st/2nd gen can be really picky with the ram it likes and what speeds especially if you are using 4 DIMMs

its a 2x16 kit, I cant try to recreate the fault as it's totally random but I can run the ram slower and see the result. I am pretty sure its not a memory issue though. 

31 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

its a 2x16 kit, I cant try to recreate the fault as it's totally random but I can run the ram slower and see the result. I am pretty sure its not a memory issue though. 

I hate to say this, but the next step is try a known good (aka, new) power supply. I'd also do what nickd said, and turn the RAM speed down, that won't hurt anything. Beyond that, it's probably mobo. You'd see video artifacting if the GPU were bad.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have a Titanium Seasonic Full Modular PSU so that shouldn't be the issue right. I'll turn ram speed down. So you think MB and not GPU?

Just now, django_keyes said:

I have a Titanium Seasonic Full Modular PSU so that shouldn't be the issue right. I'll turn ram speed down. So you think MB and not GPU?

19 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I hate to say this, but the next step is try a known good (aka, new) power supply. I'd also do what nickd said, and turn the RAM speed down, that won't hurt anything. Beyond that, it's probably mobo. You'd see video artifacting if the GPU were bad.

32 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cNsmP6/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-750w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750tr

21 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

So you think MB and not GPU?

All the bad GPUs I have encountered, both online and my own, have always had artifacting beforehand. Doesn't mean I'm 100% accurate, just my experience. 

Do you have a spare hard drive laying about? Pull your Windows one, install spare drive, install Linux Mint on it, play some games through Steam. If it behaves, then it's a very badly corrupted Windows install, Linux is usually less forgiving of bad hardware, and will let you know in no time what has failed.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

All the bad GPUs I have encountered, both online and my own, have always had artifacting beforehand. Doesn't mean I'm 100% accurate, just my experience. 

Do you have a spare hard drive laying about? Pull your Windows one, install spare drive, install Linux Mint on it, play some games through Steam. If it behaves, then it's a very badly corrupted Windows install, Linux is usually less forgiving of bad hardware, and will let you know in no time what has failed.

Yeah this is something that doesn't happen all the time, so its not something that I want to go that far with. I would rather do a fresh install of Windows but no corrupted files show so I could do a fresh install to clear drivers. Thanks for all the help, what I should upgrade I just don't know. I feel my PSU is fine, my cooling is fine, so its MB or GPU. Thanks again

2 minutes ago, django_keyes said:

Yeah this is something that doesn't happen all the time, so its not something that I want to go that far with. I would rather do a fresh install of Windows but no corrupted files show so I could do a fresh install to clear drivers. Thanks for all the help, what I should upgrade I just don't know. I feel my PSU is fine, my cooling is fine, so its MB or GPU. Thanks again

Id hate to tell you what to upgrade with the problem not pinpointed, but given the age of the GPU, I'd start there...