Do I really need the Fluance rt81?

Nohemi

Hi

I've been looking at vinyl turntables for about a year now, but I haven't bought one yet. I saw the Audio Technica lp60, but it's discontinued now. I saw the lp60x and it looks nice, but from what I've read, there are no paths for upgrading the cartridge (only the stylus). Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am still relatively new to this hobby. I've been hesitant to buy the Fluance rt81 because of the price tag (even though i've heard it's a great deal), but now I have the money. The price also dropped from 250 USD to 209 USD. Should I go for it? I only have one record so far, but I've been scouting a few on discogs. 

Also another (dumb) question: What is the difference between a phono amp and headphone amp? Can I use the shiit magni heresy amp for my turntable? (for a headphone setup)?

Thanks a bunch y'all

Depending on availability I'm your region you might want to consider the Rega RP-1, as well.

While the overall package of the Fluance is really nice, I personally find the engineering the Rega a lot better.

It is correct that you can't replace the cartridge on the LP60(x), but the AT3600 cartridge that's on there is a really good cartridge. It's the same as the one that comes on the RP-1.

A phono pre-amp is designed to bring the signal from a phono cartridge up to a line-level signal, while it applies RIAA equalization.

Other amps are designed to amplify a line-level signal into something that can drive headphones or speakers.

So no, you can't just use a Schiit Magni to listen to your records. You need a phono pre-amp in between.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

10 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Depending on availability I'm your region you might want to consider the Rega RP-1, as well.

While the overall package of the Fluance is really nice, I personally find the engineering the Rega a lot better.

It is correct that you can't replace the cartridge on the LP60(x), but the AT3600 cartridge that's on there is a really good cartridge. It's the same as the one that comes on the RP-1.

A phono pre-amp is designed to bring the signal from a phono cartridge up to a line-level signal, while it applies RIAA equalization.

Other amps are designed to amplify a line-level signal into something that can drive headphones or speakers.

So no, you can't just use a Schiit Magni to listen to your records. You need a phono pre-amp in between.

doesn't the rt81 come with a phono pre-amp in the machine? So can I use the amp to listen to the records on my headphones instead of a set of speakers? 

Edit: Also the rega is way out of my budget in my region, but would you recommend the audio technica lp60x? It looks like it would do the job for a good while.

23 minutes ago, Volbet said:

On an unrelated note, I find your profile gif very satisfying

-Another fellow pyromaniac

16 hours ago, Nohemi said:

doesn't the rt81 come with a phono pre-amp in the machine? So can I use the amp to listen to the records on my headphones instead of a set of speakers? 

Edit: Also the rega is way out of my budget in my region, but would you recommend the audio technica lp60x? It looks like it would do the job for a good while.

The RT81 does come with a build-in phono pre-amp, so you can connect that up directly to a headphone amplifier.

If you think the LP60x will do the job for the foreseeable future, then I can only recommend it. It's a really good bang for the buck, and it allows you to get into the hobby without spending a fortune.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes